Muddy polishing stone recommendation.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripleq

Reaction score
Hi folks. Looking for a muddy polishing stone with single bevel knives in mind. Would love to have your recommendations. Thanks!!!!

Hakka stones are great for this, but they might cost you an arm and a leg.

I've been interested in this stone for a while. What's the grit estimate on this natural stone?

It is better to ask Jon about it as every Jnat is different.

And finishing Jnats dont really have grits. You can ask what kind of finish dose it make ? How soft or muddy it is etc.

If you read the description on Jon's site it says 8-15k...

It is better to ask Jon about it as every Jnat is different.

And finishing Jnats dont really have grits. You can ask what kind of finish dose it make ? How soft or muddy it is etc.

very true... they all have roughly the same size silica in the kyoto region... however the way it sharpens will depend on stone density, other minerals, hardness, etc.

The King 800 does a great job in this area, and was one of Dave's favorite stones for single bevels. I've been using Maxim's new 800 for a while, and I believe it will become the new standard in synthetics for this application. It's not as muddy as a King, but it provides a very even finish and wears much more slowly. As previous posters have said, there's a whole range of naturals that will follow one of these 800's nicely.

What about not $200 options? Are there any in the $50-$80 range. I know it is a very limiting budget, but there has to be something out there that will work.

What about not $200 options? Are there any in the $50-$80 range. I know it is a very limiting budget, but there has to be something out there that will work.

The King 800 mentioned above can me purchased from several retailers (including Dave) for less than 30$.

I'm wondering how the Chosera 800 would compare to the above?

Isn't 800 grit a little low for a finishing stone? Won't that ruin your 5k edge or whatever your highest grit stone is?

Maybe polisher means different things to different people. The infamous "Kitayama 8K Green Brick" meets your requirements. It's a polishing or finishing stone, Dave M has them nib for $71. http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/Kitayama-sharpening-stone-8000x-p/kita8000.htm (Not sure if he can say that within the "rules" but I can - I think)

People smarter than I am love or hate this stone. For me it produces a mirror finish. I prefer the hazy or mist finish that I get from the Awasedo on SB. Google will provide more info.

PM inbound.

Regards,

Dave

Especially if you it a half thickness one, which will still last for years and years.

How would one work the king 800 into getting a nice kasumi finish without messing up the edge? I'm guessing use and then finish up the edge?

I think for a single bevel knife, you definitely want something that can bring out the kasumi finish and the contrast between the hagane (hard steel) and jingane (soft iron)

How about the Naniwa 2k Green Brick? Definately a polisher type stone, and quite muddy, it does kasumi finish well for a synthetic. Great last stone to use for a gyuto. I have had a dubious face shave off it, so it leaves a sharper edge than it's grit would indicate.

From what I have read before, Naniwa 8k, Naniwa 10k, Takenoko 6k/8k, Kitayama 8k; for the $50-$100 price range and polishing, builds up some mud and polishes higher than it's grit rating.

Step before, Syn Aoto Blue Brick(more mud), or Green Brick.

I don't know anything about Japanese naturals, but I remember seeing some in Jon Broida's videos and the one with Dave Martell. They use one or a few, might want to look into the videos for specific brands, and look up their reviews.

Naniwa superstone 10k best bang for the buck polishing stone.

I have one of these stones on hand but never gave it a try. Pulled it out today. I found it polishes flat surfaces nicely but it didn't really produce much mud for me.

I have one of these stones on hand but never gave it a try. Pulled it out today. I found it polishes flat surfaces nicely but it didn't really produce much mud for me.

Sometimes I need to use a flattening stone or something to that effect to get a little mud going on harder or higher grit stones before I start using them. But that may just be me.

8k superstone is plenty good, IMO. Have you tried the 5k Rika? Do you really want a super fine edge?

8k superstone is plenty good, IMO. Have you tried the 5k Rika? Do you really want a super fine edge?

Haven't tried it. I'm not really concerned about the fineness of the finish. I'm just looking for a muddy stone so I can have an even looking finish on single bevel knifes that aren't perfectly flat. So as long as I can mud it up and a complish that I'll be happy. I'm planning to get my hands on the king 800 ASAP And give that a shot.

Back