Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muddy polishing stone recommendation.

Naniwa superstone 10k best bang for the buck polishing stone.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Especially if you it a half thickness one, which will still last for years and years.

How would one work the king 800 into getting a nice kasumi finish without messing up the edge? I'm guessing use and then finish up the edge?

I think for a single bevel knife, you definitely want something that can bring out the kasumi finish and the contrast between the hagane (hard steel) and jingane (soft iron)

How about the Naniwa 2k Green Brick? Definately a polisher type stone, and quite muddy, it does kasumi finish well for a synthetic. Great last stone to use for a gyuto. I have had a dubious face shave off it, so it leaves a sharper edge than it's grit would indicate.

From what I have read before, Naniwa 8k, Naniwa 10k, Takenoko 6k/8k, Kitayama 8k; for the $50-$100 price range and polishing, builds up some mud and polishes higher than it's grit rating.

Step before, Syn Aoto Blue Brick(more mud), or Green Brick.

I don't know anything about Japanese naturals, but I remember seeing some in Jon Broida's videos and the one with Dave Martell. They use one or a few, might want to look into the videos for specific brands, and look up their reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Naniwa superstone 10k best bang for the buck polishing stone.
    I have one of these stones on hand but never gave it a try. Pulled it out today. I found it polishes flat surfaces nicely but it didn't really produce much mud for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    I have one of these stones on hand but never gave it a try. Pulled it out today. I found it polishes flat surfaces nicely but it didn't really produce much mud for me.
    Sometimes I need to use a flattening stone or something to that effect to get a little mud going on harder or higher grit stones before I start using them. But that may just be me.

8k superstone is plenty good, IMO. Have you tried the 5k Rika? Do you really want a super fine edge?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    8k superstone is plenty good, IMO. Have you tried the 5k Rika? Do you really want a super fine edge?
    Haven't tried it. I'm not really concerned about the fineness of the finish. I'm just looking for a muddy stone so I can have an even looking finish on single bevel knifes that aren't perfectly flat. So as long as I can mud it up and a complish that I'll be happy. I'm planning to get my hands on the king 800 ASAP And give that a shot.