Quantcast
Leather strop. What do you load yours with? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leather strop. What do you load yours with?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    funny you mention that, because thats exactly what ive been doing-craft shop balsa. cheap and effective. but i would like to invest in something nicer. markos felt strop and micron spray seems reasonable, ill probably pick up both.
    I picked that exact combo up not too long ago and it's brilliant. My edges have never been better. One thing though, make sure you give the diamond spray a few test squirts. I didn't and a large glob of the liquid came out after a few pumps which caused the felt to become a bit raised in that area. Nothing a little ironing couldn't handle though.

Last weekend I stropped on leather loaded with 0.75 CBN after the Rika 5k, turned out very nice

Ages ago, I went and bought the whole shebang from Hand American - balsa, horse, bovine, diamond spray, etc, yadda. But all I really like is boron carbide on split leather or felt. I don't mind the naked bovine either.

I'd like to add that newspaper in a pinch works brilliantly.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Felt and magnetic backing are also easy to find at a craft store. Really cheap.

Got some of this http://www.dicoproducts.com/compounds.html in the SCR gray to use on felt. Wondering if anyone else has used it or knows anything about it.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Newspapers do work well,how about naked horse

I strop a lot. The best strops I've seen are from Phoenix Knife house. The base is magnatized and the strop is glued to steel (I think). They're the texture of a fine suede and thin, perfect for loading and nice just naked. I have strops loaded with .5 micron CrO2, 1micron diamond spray, .25 micron spray, and a few not loaded at all. I'm a home cook and I'm retired so I have lots of time on my hands to experiment with strops. Since kitchen knives is one of my main hobbies I like to see just how sharp I can get a knife and that always involves a strop. So far, my most used strop is loaded with .5 micron CrO2 paste and CrO2 powder ( a la Dave ).
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Newspapers do work well,how about naked horse
    Naked horse is simply fantastic.

Apologies to the OP for this segue. Aussie members, can you suggest where I can get chromium or diamond stropping compounds or horse hide in Melbourne or anywhere down under? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I'd like to add that newspaper in a pinch works brilliantly.
    That's almost all I use.

+ Reply to Thread