Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Paula Deen should be banned

Like the new avatar Lucretia!

(Still dont like the beans.)
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I can't handle her very well either. And I can't handle all that sugar in this food either - why do beans need sugar plus syrup plus sweet ketchup? For Europeans, still one of the mysteries of American 'home cooking'.

Stefan

See, you just aren't getting the full effect of the menu. Add a bbq chicken--make the bbq sauce by mixing a can of coca-cola with a bottle of ketchup. And a couple casseroles--one with cream of mushroom soup and a bunch of shredded velveeta (and lots of salt, of course!) topped with crumbled saltine crackers, the other with cream of mushroom soup, salt, & topped with canned fried onions (vegetables optional in these casseroles--and used canned or frozen--never fresh.) A big mess of potato salad. And at least a couple of deserts--since it's summer, ambrosia salad & pistachio salad are good. And they have marshmallows and Cool Whip in them! Alcohol is optional depending on whether you have your teetotaling friends over for dinner. If it's just your teetotaling family, you all know that the others drink, so pack that ice chest with as much of the cheapest canned beer you can fit in it. (Anyone remember "generic beer"? Do they still make it?) Make a bunch of sweet tea--remember, you have to add the sugar when it's hot, otherwise you can't get enough sugar to dissolve. Eat until you have to unbutton your pants. Then unbutton your pants and eat some more.

Classic.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Lemon juice for acidity...makes sense to me; although I'd go with Apple cider vinegar myself, but you'd have to reduce it down to get the same bight as a splash of lemon.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I can't handle her very well either. And I can't handle all that sugar in this food either - why do beans need sugar plus syrup plus sweet ketchup? For Europeans, still one of the mysteries of American 'home cooking'.

Stefan
    +1
    also why use cans of bacon beans then add more bacon?

hahaha..she starts with pork and beans!

i wouldnt waste the bacon and go straight to the SPAM option..cubed of course.

Nothin wrong with dressin up some canned beans. I used to make from scratch. I liked them. No one else seemed to care much. More like, "wow very nice, can you pass me the ribs and chicken? More of that pork butt please"

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post

Stefan
    +1
    I've had to fight this add sugar to everything nonsense at a lot of jobs. Good ole dirty south.

All this talk of sugar-laden Southern food has given me a craving for bourbon-laced sweet potato casserole with a cruncy pecan topping.

Sometimes sweet isn't a bad thing.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller