Quantcast
Why Paula Deen should be banned - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why Paula Deen should be banned

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have not, but looks like a good read.
    Chewie's the man.

It is a great read. The biggest benefit is learning somethign about what is happening in our food chain and who is controlling it. The other huge benefit is now that I buy far fewer processed foods my knives get a lot more use.

I have received several emails reassuring me that Paula Dean has not been dropped from the 2013 Metropolitan Cooking and Entertainment Show circuit. She apparently is a big draw, as attendance at the DC show dropped about 20% last year supposedly because she cancelled (I think she wanted more $ then they were willing to pay her). Not sure why the organizers think people around here want to see her so badly. I've been to the show the last 2 years, and I'd say the demographics are working against them. I think they will alienate even more than the 5,000 people who theoretically did not attend in 2012 because Paula was not there... Besides, the people who show up to see Paula seem to have very little interest in anything at the display booths; they only want free food samples and to hit up the steak and cheese vendors

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    now that I buy far fewer processed foods my knives get a lot more use.
    +1

I have yet to see any real science on HFCS being bad for you...or even distinguishable from cane sugar in human biology. Now...I have all kinds of problems with the politics that have lead to HFCS being the sweetener of choice. (and that's about all I can say on the topic here w/o pushing the mods )
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    Oooooh! Aaaaaah! You got the high-end generic beer in the bottle. We only had this stuff:

Attachment 16868
    Saw generic beer for the last time in College Station, TX in 2001 or 2002. Can looked different but it was that same idea. Tasted like water and sadness.

Ever since PD came into the public zeitgeist I have thought of her not as a Southerner, but the comical depiction of what the corporate interests at the Food Network think of Southerners. Having her as the mascot for "Southern Cooking" is offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Slypig5000 View Post
    Saw generic beer for the last time in College Station, TX in 2001 or 2002. Can looked different but it was that same idea. Tasted like water and sadness.

Ever since PD came into the public zeitgeist I have thought of her not as a Southerner, but the comical depiction of what the corporate interests at the Food Network think of Southerners. Having her as the mascot for "Southern Cooking" is offensive.
    +1
    also, plenty of fantastic southern chefs that emphasize seasonal ingredients and doing things from scratch. i too resent the assertions found in much of her food and cooking.

i like beans cold straight out of the can, not doctored up with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i like beans cold straight out of the can, not doctored up with anything.
    i like hummus....

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i like hummus....
    mmmmm hummus..... mmmm popcorn.

Beans not so much.
    Chewie's the man.

I like turtles......
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig