Same knife, different brand?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneg

Reaction score
Img1183.jpg

Jck Inazuma, 210mm 19c27/nickel damascus
kc-023new.jpg

Kanetsune, 240mm 45 layer, 19c27/nickel damascus
03gyuto240-big.jpg

Haruyuki, 240mm vg10
NSWD210-JH.png

Kikuichi 240mm, 16 layer vg5

You can add to that the Ryusen tsuchime damascus knives. With all the OEM makers in Japan, it's not surprising that the knives look so similar.

As a different issue -- if you look at the division of labor system in Sakai, is it a wonder why the stainless Swedish steel knives coming out of Sakai all look so similar? If I didn't care about a flush machi against a handle, I'd buy Koki's house-brand Swedish stainless Sakai-made wa-gyuto over the other options.

wouldn't be surprised if they were the same knives with diff handles from different brands. ('cept for the last one, maybe the same maker but different core steel)

the same would be said of togiharu, sakai takayuki, yoshihiro etc. with some of their lines

one maker different brands, rebranded. making the same blades for many other brands, happens all the time from what i've read around.

=D

Yeah the aoki hamono is definitely the of them, I found another that was aeb-l/13c26 instead of 19c27.
It seems that they are being offered as a 'house' knife from a few shops.

I have the kanetsune which at the moment is my daily beater, nice steel, I've thinned it somewhat so the Damascus isn't as noticeable as it used to be, but it cuts great, im only taking it to 4k as it sees the board a lot, but its wicked sharp, edge comes back easily on ceramic and the wire edge comes off easily in cork. Nice stock rosewood handle.
I like letting my chefs use It so I can watch their face light up when it slips effortlessly right through a whole cabbage, then they get sad when I ask for it back.

It seems that they are being offered as a 'house' knife from a few shops.

Indeed. You can add Hisahide Hamono in Kyoto. Great little knife though. No wonder it is such a popular design.

is this a case of many companies trying to offer similar products to fill market gaps or rebranding ?
it looks like all tsuchime with rosewood d-handle and vg-10 or swedish steel.
If we were talking about cars , even the makers would offer very similar formula (e.g.1.6 L engine compact hatchback w A/T) one will turn out to be golf and the other would be ford focus . I guess heat treatment, fit and finish will be the determining factor.
You can throw ashi hamono and sakai yusuke in there too. I haven't owned any of them yet , but they look very similar

What I gather, there is one company pumping out these blades and several companies buy them and handle them and re-brand them. I have a sakai takayuki nakiri VG-10 that looks exactly like that kanetsune with the same handle, not to mention many brands already mentioned.

Back