New here

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Cardenas

Reaction score
Hello, new member here. Not much of a lurker before, but this website has popped up for me quite a few times in the past on google searches about specific knife info. It seems like a really knowledgeable group here and I look forward to learning tons here.

I'm a chef of 15 years here. I've worked in all kinds of restaurants, fast food to diners to institutions to french to italian to country clubs and public golf courses. Recently, I owned a Peruvian food truck that was very successful but short lived.

I've just barely got into japanese chef's knives: I've been bitten by a bug.

My first Jknife was a Fujiwara Kanefusa 270mm Suji
I now own 3 more and the list is not going to stop growing it looks like.
Sakai Takayuki hammered damascus Nakiri in 165mm is my second knife I got a christmas gift from my wife
Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef 240mm Wa-Gyuto is my main knife now. Love the AEB-L!
Now, recently, I bought my first carbon knife, and now there's no going back.
Tojiro ITK santoku (I know it's a girls knife! My wife wanted me to buy a santoku) in white #2. Now, the santoku I've turned into a "project knife". As you all may know, these come pretty rough from the factory so I rounded and polished the spine. I sanded the handle down to be even with the ferrule and I smoothed it and coated it with spar urethane. I filled in the gap where the tang inserts into the handle with epoxy resin. I stripped the korouchi finish. I ground down the back side so it's now a chisel grind instead of a messed up v grind. Then I forced a patina, which turned out really nice for my first time. It's got that great phosphorescent blue, purple going on. So, I love this knife now. And I really enjoyed "fixing" this knife. I may buy a few more from this line just to play with them and resell.

I also bought my first japanese waterstone a few months ago. An Arashiyama 6000. Love this stone! I've just been using a DMT 1200/600 for the lower grits, which has worked fine for me because I'm careful. But... I'm looking to buy a few more lower grit stones to replace that. I'm also stropping on split leather loaded with chromium oxide. Looking into alternatives to this too. But, with my sharpening/stropping system, I get excellent results. All my knifes do the "not touching the tomato trick" very easily. I've been a great sharpener since I was a kid playing with pocket knives, so there wasn't much of a learning curve getting into this new stuff.

What up? Looks like you are off to a good start (to a lighter wallet)...

Welcome aboard. Boy, have you come to the right place.

Yeah I'd tell you to run and never look back...but its to late. So welcome!

I know, I know. I already have too many expensive hobbies but this one is getting my most attention lately. Thanks guys!

Welcome to KFF!

Look forward to hearing what will you get or do next!

Back