Harner/McLean Petty/Suji(?)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Guys, as you know, I'm a knife designing addict. With the amazing demand and success (and trust me, result) of the parers, I've worked on something for an "addition" to the parers. I find myself often reaching for a long petty for trimming and making quick meals. My design, this time around is either of a 185 or 195 petty/suji. Essentially, a slightly taller long petty, with my styling and Butch's magic.

Tentatively, we are gauging interest, and would like to know if you all might be into this project.

Thanks, guys!

Yes, I think that is a very useful blade range. I've been trying to decide between a 180 0r 210 petty for my next knife and the 195 would fall nicely into place. Thanks Lefty.

195 sounds great. Is this a remake of the famous Rodrigue Pettysuki?

I'd make it 210. Almost by definition a knife like this is an all-rounder so if it's a little longer it's more useful and it's not like it's bulky or anything

Hmmm. Thanks for the input, guys. I'll take a look and see what feels right. If I ever get a chance today, I'll post a sketch.

However, keep the comments coming.

I would like to see 195mm, it's a size that's not offered unless it's a custom

I may be interested, depending on profile, I've been looking for a great utility knife for a long time.

I'm interested as well. I have a 210 suisin inox that I absolutely love. Would be interested in a 210 that's a little taller and maybe a tad thicker, though not like knuckle clearing high most likely. Would be great to pitch this as both an at home all-arounder as well as a perfect line knife. To me, 210 would be the right length as it could easily serve as a line slicer at that length.

Sorry guys. I'm playing catch-up right now. Between the crazy flooding, and all that came with it at work, the lack of sleep, and now trying to get orders out, my design post has taken a back seat. I'm hoping to get a fair bit done before we leave for vacation on Friday night....

Great! Thanks for the input, guys. I'll be sending Butch a few sketches, and since this isn't a preorder type of situation, and I really do think 190mm is a fantastic, underproduced length, I think we'll be going with that. Heel height is looking like it's gong to be about 35mm. How's that for everyone?

I'd be interested in a 185! Taller height sounds intriguing

Sounds like an interesting work horse. I might be up for one as well instead of the parer.

Great news, everyone. This directly resulted in a knife that you all saw get sold just a couple days ago. Butch took the design and decided to go with an 8" blade, but my design was true in the rest of it. Butch's expertise and talent turned out this one, on top:

13C6DBF8-2068-4B4F-8895-7A2D524E4BA2-12824-000013929E51C93B_zps3732b058.jpg

Long story short, we're doing a run of these, and we think they are the perfect line knife. We will be going ahead with a small batch, with the price being $450. If you are interested, and I mean seriously interested, please let me know!

Thanks guys!

Back