Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Present

Wedding Present

My sister in law is getting married. I'd like to get her a couple of Japanese style knives with western handles.

I've narrowed it down to the following:

Richmond Artifex 240mm gyuto, in AEBL
    Richmond Artifex 110mm petty, 12C23 sandvik

OR
    Tojiro DP gyuto, 240mm
    Tojiro DP petty, 110mm (or 120mm, which ever size they make)

OR
    Fujiwara FKM gyuto and petty.

The knives are also going to come with a superfine ceramic honing rod and a magnetic wall mount knife rack.

Her current knives are wal-mart 3 dollar specials, with a *shudder* self sharpening knife block. Any of the above would be an enormous upgrade. She is constantly complaining about her knives, so I want to get her a couple of good value knives that will last her many years.

Which of the above do you think would be best? Are there other knives that would be better value? I don't want to spend more than $200 total. So $150 for two knives, and the remaining going to the wall-mount and ceramic rod.

either the DP or fujiwara. the richmonds are pretty thick behind the edge. carbonext, hiro g3 are also pretty good

Although I haven't tried the knives you've listed, I've compared the Suisin Inox Western to the CarboNext and I preferred the Suisin Inox. I've also seen pictures of the Richmond Artifex and Tojiro DP and from what I've seen, I think the Suisin will be a much better performing knife than either. It's got a nicer grind, better fit and finish than either of those lines; it also feels good in the hand and is a nimble performer. You can get a 240 gyuto and parer from JKI for about $200.

But, of the three you listed, I'd go with the Fujiwara. Enough reputable members that I know have said good things about Fujiwaras.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Especially for a gift, the fit and finish of the fujiwara is far better than the DP and worlds apart from the artifex.

I've owned and gifted fujiwaras, owned DP's and handled artifexes (my Latin's not great - artifaeces? i'm not sure). Fujiwaras are a touch softer than the DP's, but still respectable - in this case that's a plus, because they'll respond better the the ceramic rod, and be a bit tougher and less chippy.

FWIW, I find a 150 petty a lot more useful than a 110 or 120.

I've never used a suisin Inox, but you only read good reports about them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    ...and handled artifexes (my Latin's not great - artifaeces? i'm not sure)....
    That one made me laugh out loud Plural should be artifices - not that I remembered, I had to look, 7 years of Latin down the mental drain And while I never even saw the knife up close and have nothing against it, I had to laugh out loud a second time when I saw that one of the potential translations is "trickster, cunning deceiver, cheat"

Stefan

id go for the fujiwara due to fit and finish issues.

Thanks guys I have A couple of Fujiwaras already, and am very pleased with them. I think I will go with those.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    That one made me laugh out loud Plural should be artifices - not that I remembered, I had to look, 7 years of Latin down the mental drain And while I never even saw the knife up close and have nothing against it, I had to laugh out loud a second time when I saw that one of the potential translations is "trickster, cunning deceiver, cheat"

Stefan
    At least the knife is appropriately named...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    At least the knife is appropriately named...
    The artifex is not well received I take it? Whats wrong with it? Anyone know of any reasonably priced gyutos in AEBL that have a nice fit and finish?

I was highly torn between Richmond Artifex and Kagayaki Carbonext, and ended up with the Artifex due to price, and hearing that it has a "Sabatier" profile, I got the Artifex. I have had a bit of trouble sharpening it with my cheapie combination stone. I recently got a more quality set of stones, and am planning to post an update on the stones and knife soon.

[EDIT: another reason for Artifex over Carbonext is that I didn't have a quality set of stones yet, and had the impression that the Artifex would be easier to sharpen, and that the Artifex comes beveled and sharpened out of the box. Being somewhat new to knives, I would have something to work with when learning to sharpen. In hindsight, it would not have mattered, if I started with a set of quality stones, and I feel like I have enough practice sharpening on my Forschner.]

In the process of testing the edge of the Artifex in a pro kitchen after sharpening with the quality stones. Comparing the choil of the Artifex to a 240mm Masamoto VG yo-gyuto, it is a little bit thicker behind the edge (I took some pictures on my camera phone, upload to come).

Look into the Carbonext, but you will need to sharpen it before gifting. Another knife I recently learned about is Korin's Togiharu Moly. Heard it's very Masamoto in blade profile and edge profile, and better fit and finish than Tojiro and Fujiwara.

If staying within budget is very important, think of getting just the gyuto. I would have to say the gyuto is what's used 80%+ in the kitchen, and that would be a lot of knife as a first J-knife. Maybe that'll get your sister-in-law hooked and get some more Japanese knives. I personally would get a higher end gyuto that gets sharper, better F&F, more comfortable; and work with a lesser petty in the meantime with possible upgrade in the future.