Quantcast
usuba: kamagata vs higashigata - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: usuba: kamagata vs higashigata

When are you releasing your book Jon?

Sponsors
    lol... for the time being, its all in my head :P

I guess this is why my inbox is full all of the time

tks for the info Jon, you definitely need to compose a book at some point. Just collect you the stuff you have shared would made it really nice oh yeah, make sure there's a free DVD comes with the book

This definitely connects some of the dots for me, so thanks for this. Hadn't read about the sitting thing before.

Man, so if I go ahead with the higashigata then I have to get a mukimono too. Yet another excuse for a new knife!

Or maybe just get both usuba types... it never ends.

Jon you should trow that things in the blog every time you make post like that !

Quote Originally Posted by Bram View Post
    ...Yet another excuse for a new knife!

Or maybe just get both usuba types... it never ends.

That was my solution - buy both shigs. With this maker, the square one is thinner with a bigger bevel and thinner behind the edge. I like the goofy look of the higashigata and it works well for most veg requirements. They are both 210s which is a good size for me. I have a 225 kamagata which I find a bit large.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth View Post
    That was my solution - buy both shigs. With this maker, the square one is thinner with a bigger bevel and thinner behind the edge. I like the goofy look of the higashigata and it works well for most veg requirements. They are both 210s which is a good size for me. I have a 225 kamagata which I find a bit large.
    That's a good advert for the higashi then, I'd say. Surprised to hear it's thinner! On the other hand, I don't think it looks goofy.

210mm - exactly the size I'd had in mind.

Bram as a side note are you near the flooding going on up there. I lived in Toronto about 10-12 years ago and for some of that time lived in the Etobicoke area. The photos I'm seeing look really gnar-gnar. Hope you are safe and dry

Thanks - no, luckily I'm out of the city right now. Sounds horrendous!