Items on the way from JCK

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toek

Reaction score
CN santoku and JCK combo whetstone ordered from Koki today, im quite qurious about the stone. Koki claims they are smoother then Bester and King and they have a nice price. (Dad is getting one as well as i broke one of his :rolleyes2: ).

stuck in customs, aperantly they enjoy cooking to...

..im quite qurious about the stone...
Me, too. Let us know how it works (Although just about anything I've tried seems to work well with the CN.).

This is the first time I've ever heard of something from Koki getting stuck at customs.
It'll be worth the wait!

stuck in customs, aperantly they enjoy cooking to...

Hopefully the postman doesn't bring a customs bill with the package. I got hit up with one of those recently for a non-knife purchase. I had ordered from the vendor many times with no problem, but it looked as if customs just did a random inspection and deemed my package to warrant a duty.

k.

Yeah, I just got dinged for $30, but the Carter is in (I can't pick it up until Thursday!!!), but with no duty due. It's really random, but it seems you don't have to pay more often than you do, so we can't complain too much, can we?

Be patient! My last purchase sat in customs longer than the rest of the trip combined! No fees though.

I've got a FKH Suji on the way from Koki, my first carbon - its hard to be patient! :D

Yeah wait till you guys order your first custom knife and the wait time is measured in months or years!

The FKH is a nice entry to carbon, have fun with it. Mine gets abused and keeps on going.

Potato, I think I have 2-3 months left on my wait. Lucky for me, I don't have to worry about border issues!

Kswick, that's a wicked choice! I think you're going to be pleased!

Be patient! My last purchase sat in customs longer than the rest of the trip combined! No fees though.

I've got a FKH Suji on the way from Koki, my first carbon - its hard to be patient! :D

Ditto to what everyone has said about the FKH. My first J-Knife was a FKH 210mm Gyuto, which is easy to sharpen and takes a keen edge. Just make sure you cut some medium rare beef early on to set a solid patina.

Both orders are released and i will pick up at the postal office after work today. Customs did not accept PayPal receipt and demanded a printout from my bank account. They stated that receipt was not good enough from that vendor.

Kiko has been very service minded in all this quick replies and good advice.

I'm glad it worked out for you Toek, I know how frustrating that can be.

Not to painful they charged me about $25 must have been an error on their behalf...

Unpacked the CN and it was not so sharp, ive read about it so no surprise. Tried it out on the stone from koki and first attempt was a disaster =). compared to the Hattori Damascus which i sharpened just after it was quite disappointing. It has to be said that my skills are limited indeed. try and try again, second attempt i lowered the angle of the bevels a bit and it still didn't feel that sharp to the touch. I attacked a couple of not so fresh tomatoes and boy was i surprised. Smooth!

Since the geometry of the HD and CN is almost the same it was fun to compare them (being that i sharpened them both) i have seen the tomato trick when not holding the tomato and slicing of the top. CN is without doubt much sharper, tomato did not move at all and producing nice transparent slices.

Its more nimble and i like to handle it much more, but it feels cheaper. All in all a nice knife in my opinion

Back