My first saya

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejd53

Reaction score
I had originally thought to send my knives to Tom to have sayas made, but for some reason (probably Tom telling me that it wasn't that difficult :lol2: and the ghost of my grandfather looking down at me and frowning), I decided to try my hand at one. This is not a sandwich construction; it was made in the traditional fashion, hollowed out with chisels, shaped with planes and the outside was hand sanded to 400 and finished with Tru-Oil. It taught me a few lessons. First, it is really dumb to do your first saya with highly figured wood (makes it a lot tougher to hollow out and plane), but I wanted something that would match Devin's "spicy white steel" San Mai . Second, I really think I might invest in a couple of saya nomi, as bench chisels are not the greatest for this process. Finally, I think that a belt sander purchase may be in my immediate future if I am going to make more of these. So here it is; please be kind :newhere: and any comment or suggestions would be welcome.

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg
The friction fit was quite good.

I really like it. I suspect your grandfather is looking down smiling.

Please send that knife to me for proper evaluation. :whistling: very nice work

Congrats! It looks really good. Now, my consulting fee is.... :D Just kidding!

well, the saya is cool and all, BUT MAN, where did you git a knife with copper cladding?! :clown:

Seriously, I like the saya, haven't worked up the guts to take chisel to wood yet myself.:thumbsup:

Yeah, isn't amazing what a little lighting and set decoration will do. :biggrin: Thank you for the kind words.

Very nice! Oh, and the saya ain't so bad either.

I kid I kid! Excellent looking work man!

Well, I tried my hand at another one and I think I made some progress. This one was for one of Will's Nakiris and I used some nice Paduk that I had lying around. Hope you enjoy.

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg
The friction fit was very good on this one also, so I didn't use a pin

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg
It's on the slim side

Back