Quantcast
Leather strop. What do you load yours with?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leather strop. What do you load yours with?

Leather strop. What do you load yours with?

Been reading and searching and find so many opinions. Got my sharpening stones recently up to a 5k Rika. Just got a leather strop. Strop is vegetable tanned leather on a thick plastic base. Do you guys have a preferred chromium oxide paste, or do you use a particular diamond spray? What # of microns? Thanks!

I've tried a few over the years. Although I personally like hard felt over leather, leather will outlast felt by a long shot. For me a good quality diamond spray @ 1 micron is the ticket. I've tried .5 and .25; the 1 micron is by far what you'll want after a Rika 5k (I think 1 micron is equivalent to somewhere near 10-12k, but .25 jumps exponentially higher). Again, I like the diamond for overall ease of use as well as the toothiness it gives, even at such high polish.

Watch out for cheap stuff. I purchased a 2 ounce bottle off of EBay a few years back, and it was crap.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I have a combo of different sprays and pastes (.25-2 micron) and I tend to use the diamond spray in the .5-1 micron the most. I also have felt and leather but tend to use my leather far more (not really sure why... Habit maybe)

I use chromium oxide .5 micron paste from hand American on leather right after my rika 5k for all my nicer double bevel kitchen knives, if I just do a few light strokes it leaves a very nice edge with some bite to it. If I over do it or use too much pressure it can make the edge too polished and/or rounded off. I also loved the edge Dave put on my Hiro, I think he used .25 micron diamond spray on leather after the rika 5k. I think if you have done a good job up through the 5K just about any stropping compound will do well. The reason I like the CrO2 paste is that it seems to last a really really long time on the leather, and being a green paste it is very easy to see that you have an even coat on the leather. On the softer steel knives I leave out for housemates and guests to use I only go to 1200 then a light strop for burr removal. My straight razors I go Rika 5K, Naniwa 10K, Balsa loaded with 1 micron boron carbide, leather with CrO2, plain felt, plain leather. Happy stropping!

I have a few sprays and pastes around. I prefer something around 1 micron. Over the past year I've been using an unloaded leather more and more though.

There's a honing compound made and sold by an English bloke calls himself 'Strider' that is nicknamed Smurf Poo - I had to try it on my HA bull pad!

VERY helpful, thanks to all chiming in!

I tend to use different stuff depending on the steel. Chromium Oxide sees to get the least use.

Chromium Oxide is better for razors, diamond for knives.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

https://us-products.com/sitehtml/products/compslur.php

I've been buying my slurry here at a very good price--I use it on felt rather than leather.
    one man gathers what another man spills...