Advice on stone combos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ucmd

Reaction score
Could some forum members give me feedback on these two stone combos. beston 500, 1200, and rika 5k Vs gesshin 1200 to awesedo? I have 270 gyuto shig, honyaki, takeda,devin. My knife sharpening skill are improving and I finally gave away 1000/6000 combo. Will probably get into single bevel soon.

Appreciate comments and advice. Thanks.

i would say a beston 500 is good value for the money.

gesshin stones are hard to beat i have most of the lineup, i would get the 1k or 1200,4k and the Takashima awesedo. The 4k edge is plenty for gyuto but the natural stone edge toothy and really refined at the same time.

Thanks awesedo is $$$. Is it worth the cash.

I believe so, I mean compared to some jnats it's actually relatively cheap. Look at stones from maxim and you can spend big bucks, my red aoto was more and I think the takashima has more value over all.

I got the small one as well plenty big enough.

Jnats are way different than synthetic, they produce longer lasting edges that are really sharp and toothy all in one.

But they take more effort and time. Not much though.

Honestly, I would do the Rika 5k. Wait until you are a more advanced knife sharpener to get into naturals. I am not saying that because only advanced knife sharpeners can use Jnats; I am saying that because when you are a better sharpener you will get your money's worth out of a Jnat. Also when you are a better sharpener you will know if you really want a $200 stone. For all you know you may be completely happy with the edge you get from a Rika 5k. I know I am as far as the edges on my work knives are concerned.

I think if you have a great OOTB edge then a 1k/3-4k and 6k are adequate. If you are establishing an edge something like a Gesshin 400 is a must. I process meat as well as veg with my gyutos and I've been happy switching from 6k to 3-4k followed by cardboard and newspaper stropping.

shig feels wonderful with jns 1000, i think maxim hand picked that one because he is obsessed with shigs. for finisher, i would go with rika 5k as well, that stone is awesome especially with all the mud it produces. i use jns synthetic aoto purely out of convenience, it does not 'feel' good like his 1k.

Back