Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finishing handles?

Oh yeah and wheel (surface) rpm can factor in quite a bit as well to the results. Too slow and you get streaks of compound loading the piece and if too fast you get too aggressive a cut rate.

Thanks a lot guys especially the drill press idea. I have just bought a floor standing drill press and was wondering what I was going to do with my cheap bench top. I may actually have a finished knife by next week. LOL.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Stefan,
    if your grinder is 3450rmp, don't apply too much pressure while buffing horn, or it might get burned. Best is to pick a grinder/buffer with 1800 rpm.

When sanding a wa handle, I typically alternate (as of recently, prior to that all by hand) between sanding on a disk sander and by hand up 1000 grit for all woods (stabilized or naturally stable) and to 2000 grit for ironwood. I use a buffer for bringing up shine on the horn, metal and color on the wood. I use green and pink compounds and soft wheels.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thakss Marko, i will have to look again. Usually, I go very lightly on the buffing wheels, but I can always keep usimg the old bench top drill press.

Stefan

P.s. I hate typing on an Ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    P.s. I hate typing on an Ipad.
    Just get a stand for it, a wireless keyboard and touch pad, a desk and chair and youll be all set!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I hope it is OK to wake up this old thread, but I saw no point of starting a new one as this one is spot on.

I would like to add as specific question. I will soon be finishing my first ironwood handle (with a small brass bolster). I am wondering what kind of finish should I use. some polymerising oil like Tung or Tru, or mixture with a shellack, or just some mineral oil or board butter?

Thanks in advance.

for ironwood, and a few similar species, it can be sanded and buffed to super shine without adding any type of finish. In fact PU based finish destroy the natural lust of ironwood. You can try broad butter, or some sort of wax finish with carnauba wax but that is as far as I would go.

WWW.KNIVESANDSTONES.COM
    Youtube Channel,Instagram
    gtalk: knivesandstones at gmail dot com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1478732813.967850.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	770.2 KB 
ID:	33526
    FYI, This ironwood on the Tanaka is the result with only sanding and buffing

WWW.KNIVESANDSTONES.COM

Thank you James, I will first try just sand & polish it and will only consider some board butter as the very last step (basically first maintenance step).

Should I just dry sand it, or should I also do some wet sanding?

May I ask which other woods could/should be handled similarly to ironwood?

dry sanding is sufficient to achieve this sort of finish.From my experience, festool random orbital sander with those high grit soft pads followed by buffing can certainly achieve this result with ease.
    As of similar timber, anything that is dense and oily can be treated the same way. Ringed gidgee and ebony are two commonly available types.

J.

WWW.KNIVESANDSTONES.COM