Quantcast
Finishing handles? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finishing handles?

Oh yeah and wheel (surface) rpm can factor in quite a bit as well to the results. Too slow and you get streaks of compound loading the piece and if too fast you get too aggressive a cut rate.

Thanks a lot guys especially the drill press idea. I have just bought a floor standing drill press and was wondering what I was going to do with my cheap bench top. I may actually have a finished knife by next week. LOL.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Stefan,
    if your grinder is 3450rmp, don't apply too much pressure while buffing horn, or it might get burned. Best is to pick a grinder/buffer with 1800 rpm.

When sanding a wa handle, I typically alternate (as of recently, prior to that all by hand) between sanding on a disk sander and by hand up 1000 grit for all woods (stabilized or naturally stable) and to 2000 grit for ironwood. I use a buffer for bringing up shine on the horn, metal and color on the wood. I use green and pink compounds and soft wheels.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thakss Marko, i will have to look again. Usually, I go very lightly on the buffing wheels, but I can always keep usimg the old bench top drill press.

Stefan

P.s. I hate typing on an Ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    P.s. I hate typing on an Ipad.
    Just get a stand for it, a wireless keyboard and touch pad, a desk and chair and youll be all set!
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

+ Reply to Thread