Quantcast
singatirin 240 gyuto - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: singatirin 240 gyuto

Singatirin is V2.

I played with Edipisreks singatrin(thanks again buddy!), and thought this was a very unique gyuto. Good to see they've done away with the tiny Ho handle, that and the odd angle it was mounted at were my biggest gripes. Takes and holds a decent edge. I put it to heavy use in a pro kitchen and was very happy with its overall performance. Bit on the light side for my tastes tho... I recall it taking a very unusual patina. Does it still have that weird patina Jacob?
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

I thinned and refinished, so no patina is left now. It had a great patina when I got it, though.

Yup. Really liked what you did with it, ER.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Singatirin is V2.
    interesting! i had no idea that V2 could produce a hamon... certainly the first that i've seen.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I'm pretty happy to hear that it's V2. My only other experience with this steel had been a Kochi; I found it to take a great edge. Retention if I remember was good--it would lose the initial screaming sharpness rather quickly but then hold a very good edge for a pretty long time. I haven't sharpened my Singatirin yet, but hope it is half as easy to sharpen as the Kochi was.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    interesting! i had no idea that V2 could produce a hamon... certainly the first that i've seen.
    it has a hamon because it's mizu-honyaki, not because it's a particular steel.

V2 is very similar to white 2, you can also make it with hamon if its Oil quenched, just not as visible as water quenched

not to infringine on this conversation, but for what its worth, most shallow hardening steels can produce a hamon... its steels that arent shallow hardening where either they dont show up or are very difficult to produce

+ Reply to Thread