Quantcast
singatirin 240 gyuto - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: singatirin 240 gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    not to infringine on this conversation, but for what its worth, most shallow hardening steels can produce a hamon... its steels that arent shallow hardening where either they dont show up or are very difficult to produce
    had to look up the web just not to be in the dark....

http://avstop.com/ac/apgeneral/heatt...ousmetals.html

rgds
    d

I'm lucky enough to have one in my hand, right now. In a very strangely obsessive way, I'm comparing (just visually and feel-wise) the Singatirin, Itinomonn, and a Shigefusa. Very quick observations, and then I have a bunch of stuff to do:

Shigefusa: Everything people say seems to be true. Stunning, simple, clean and zero gaps.

Singatirin: I love the handle, weight, how this is is behind the edge, and the fact that it's honyaki is awesome! Great in hand feel, but much lighter than you expect. Sexy. Least amount of taper in the bunch.

Itinomonn: Stealing the show a little bit. I love the profile, with the slightly higher tip, and the finish on the blade is unreal. It looks to be a very flat grind, which allows for thinness, but might cause sticktion. With that being said, the shinogi line wil aid in food release, where the KU begins. I say try this out! Maxim found a gem....

So, back to Singatirin - it's one hell of a knife! Especially for the price.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    had to look up the web just not to be in the dark....

http://avstop.com/ac/apgeneral/heatt...ousmetals.html

rgds
    d
    Excellent. Superb article zitangy! Clears up so many questions I had.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Thanks guys. I understood the process and requirements of mizu-honyaki, I just didnt realize that V2 was that close to W#2, I always thought that it was higher alloy / required different hardening times not compatible w/ the mizu quenching process.
    I should have looked at zknives!
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Excellent. Superb article zitangy! Clears up so many questions I had.
    very helpful indeed!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

A short report on cleaning up the edge. I had thought that I may have to take it to a finishing stone, but a quick strop on felt loaded w/ 1u diamond juice brought the edge right back to at least initial sharpness. A very responsive steel it seems.
    one man gathers what another man spills...