Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Folder July <<WIP>>

Folder July <<WIP>>

Hello guys and gals. As some of you already know its FOLDER JULY!
    We are working on a batch of damascus liner lock folders which I am calling the MTF Its the second of 3 Montana Travler designs I started on last year. The first being the MTN necker and these folders and there is a fixed blade utility knife coming at some point in the near future.

OK so whats a Montana Travler?

I chose the name for these knives based on a awesome American horse breed that is a very unique. The Montana Travler breed was developed in the USA and is well known for it's unmatched stamina and strength in the back country. Its a trusted and relied upon stallion. A tried and true American work horse!

My new Montana Travler knives are my work horse knives. I have a feeling they will live up to there name sake, and become known as a trusted and reliable tool.

On this thread I will be posting some images of the design and answering questions. Feel free to post any comments or questions here or send me a pm or email.

So the base design is a straight forward liner lock dressed in HHH damascus with beautiful yet durable handle materials. I am making a few with mammoth tooth per customer requests. But most will have ivory's and burl woods and other exotic handle materials that will serve well as the handles. File work and a few other custom features is sure to make these a very beautiful folder!

Heres a picture of the rough pencil draft of the design. Im sure they will morph a bit as I am making them. But the overall look and size should remail the same!

Blessings from Michigan
    Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	16875  

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Heat treating the blades today. Sorry, No pictures. Its hard to snap photos and work with 1500 F. steel blades at the same time..

I also have to Heat treat the bolsters and back spacers. This is so the damascus will all etch the same. Ill try and remember to take a photo of the bolsters in the oven B4 I quench them.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Looking forward to pics Randy.

Looks great Randy. What material are you thinking in terms of the handle? Never mind, I just read the rest of your post. Should be killer. Do you have a price in mind?
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Looks great, and I like the story behind the name, but I think that you should call them "Michigan Traveler" as they are a workhorse of your creation.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Heres a few shots from the bench at the end of today! Made good progress.. It was about 110 degrees and 100% humidity today in the shop and im Zapped!

Blessings
    Randy

Name:	WIP MTF 025 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	16879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP MTF 024 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	319.9 KB 
ID:	16878  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP MTF 004 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	16877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP MTF 001 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	277.9 KB 
ID:	16876  

Availible Knives

Super excited about this one Randy, can't wait, you and Jr. are crazy dudes!

Making some progress on these.

Threw one together to check and make sure everything was on and properly drilled and tapped, and reamed, etc. Looks great so far. if I do say so myself.

Name:	MTF  WIP 009 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	318.3 KB 
ID:	16948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF  WIP 007 (800x533).jpg 
Size:	283.7 KB 
ID:	16947  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF  WIP 016 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	16949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MTF  WIP 022 (800x533).jpg 
Size:	293.2 KB 
ID:	16950  

Availible Knives

I am definitely looking forward to it.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

I know its doesn't look like much NOW.. But I am really starting to see the final folders and im excited!

Availible Knives