Quantcast
Moritaka 240mm Gyuto in AS and rosewood handle - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moritaka 240mm Gyuto in AS and rosewood handle

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Mmm... just something to add to this. I love Shigeki Tanaka's and Hideyuki Tanaka's knives in blue steel, but the ginsanko gyuto that I got is not up there for me. The edge was a little wavy, but still very usable, and the steel isn't particularly nice to sharpen.

(Then again, I learned on another ginsanko knife that the Takenoko works wonders, but I didn't put the Tanaka gyuto on the Takenoko - I was too lazy that day to bring out that stone.)

I'd recommend going with one of the blue hagane gyutos rather than the ginsan one.
    I couldn't see any gyuto's in blue steel #2 by Tanaka listed. Thanks for the info and links everyone. I'd never considered ebay before!

Quote Originally Posted by gyutoguy View Post
    I couldn't see any gyuto's in blue steel #2 by Tanaka listed. Thanks for the info and links everyone. I'd never considered ebay before!
    http://www.metalmaster-ww.com/product/33

Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    and these, I haven't tried them but a lot of the members have very good things to say about them http://stores.ebay.com/BluewayJapan/...=p4634.c0.m322
    The yukes are a very good value. The fit and finish are very nice and the handles are extremely well done. Definitely + 1 on that.

I'm looking for something with a Wa-handle/d/octogonal handle that gets stupid sharp on stones.
    IMHO, nearly all of the knives recommended here can get pretty darn stupid sharp on stones, but that depends on - more than anything, IMHO - how well you can sharpen (and partially what you're sharpening with). But how good a knife performs, e.g.,easily it cuts, releases food, or can hold an edge, feels, ease of sharpening, feel of sharpening (as mentioned above) etc., these are probably the more critical characteristics you want to consider.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    IMHO, nearly all of the knives recommended here can get pretty darn stupid sharp on stones, but that depends on - more than anything, IMHO - how well you can sharpen (and partially what you're sharpening with). But how good a knife performs, e.g.,easily it cuts, releases food, or can hold an edge, feels, ease of sharpening, feel of sharpening (as mentioned above) etc., these are probably the more critical characteristics you want to consider.
    Thanks. So the knives listed, are they performers?

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    That is a beautiful looking knife. Does it perform well?

That is a beautiful looking knife. Does it perform well?
    see

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...el-240mm-Gyuto

Buy Moritaka?

Flip a coin and take yer chances.

I see 7 out of 10 (or worse even) as bad - I refuse to even touch them. That's not bad odds though, eh? You might be one of the lucky 3 out of 10 people who get a decent one. I actually saw a pretty nice Moritaka suji here a couple of weeks ago, sharpened up nice, what a pleasure not to have to break any bad news to the owner like usual.

if you really want a moritaka and not worry about the cost then look for one in the BST section and post a want to buy of one that's used for cheap.

=D

Name:  moritaka.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  95.9 KB
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/