Foster Bros cimeter refresh

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

statusquo

Reaction score
Thought that I would share a really nice piece that Daniel completed for me. I picked up an old school Foster Bros cimeter off of the bay to breakdown primals and to use as a BBQ slicer. The cimeter arrived in rough shape with some nasty grinder scars and big old blocky handle; but the blade itself was sound. I reached out to Daniel who has a great collaborative process whereby he prompts you with some key creative and functional decision points.

Ultimately though I told him I had seen his gallery and trusted his judgement with the only real guidance that I wanted this piece to be a tasteful refresh: slightly rounded handle with some nice oak burl from Burl Source, cleaned up blade face and that I liked mosaic pins. Daniel ran with this and the links below reflect the before/after. I have not received yet but I am blown away by the pics, exactly what I wanted, an elegant and functional piece that kept the character of the old traditional butcher's knife.

Daniel could not have been nicer and more accommodating, his quote was extremely reasonable and his turnaround time was unexpectedly fast. Based on the pics, the work and f&f appears to be that of a master who knows how to appropriately customize the approach to the piece, in this case adding enough bling while exercising restraint.

Can't wait to put this big bad ass blade to work. Without further ado:

Before (scroll down)

After :ubersexy:

Thanks Daniel.

That's quite a dramatic improvement...nice work Daniel!

Oh yeah, spectacular job, and the urge does start to grow...

Hmmmm... I have a bunch of unmarked butcher knives stacking up, been waiting to see something along these lines to sway me in the right direction for refurbing...

I agree with everyone else.
That crusty old knife looks great now.
Nice Work Daniel!

Thanks for the compliments! This was a fun project. I have a tremendous enthusiasm for older carbon steel pieces ... it is sort of the heyday of the American classic chef's knife. It's also fun since sometimes you come across them when the owner doesn't understand that what they have is really pretty exceptional.

The goal here was to stay pretty true to Foster Bros, but make the piece feel a bit more deluxe.

-daniel

Back