News: Master Doi's Hayate

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score

The Hayate is a special knife created exclusively started by Master Blacksmith Keijiro Doi for the Knife System Company. Master Doi forged his top of the line knives by joining a large ao-ko (blue steel) billet with the soft iron body at the lowest temperature possible. The technique is incredibly difficult and is practiced by the most highly skilled craftsmen. This remarkable method results in the Hayate’s superior blade strength and edge life.

As many of you may already know, Master Doi has officially retired as of 2013 (no longer "I'm technically retired, but still making a few knives" kind of retired. I believe his arm/wrist is giving him problems, so he can't even if he wanted to.) He has passed on this line to his son, Itsuo Doi. The original Hayate line forged by master Doi have serial numbers on the back of the blade to signifying the order they were forged. The new Hayate line continued by master Itsuo Doi will not have serial numbers and will be engraved “itsu” in kanji on the back of the blade. Korin will continue to sell master Doi’s original Hayate until the stock is gone.

I will let you guys know when we run out of stock on the Hayate knives by master Doi. :)
Thanks for reading!

The numbers don't seem to get to high. Does the numeral signifying number per year or per batch sold to Suisin. Its very charming, but I'm curious to know what his system was.

from what I read, just how many he made. But there could be something more.

Back