Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patina Dilemma

Well, you don't have to buy a pint of blood and get all crazy with it. Just get some steak of some kind. Cook it for dinner and just dont wipe it off after you cut up your delicious medium rare steak for fajitas. I did that with my kikuichi suji that I got years and years ago. Never had any rust or reactivity problems with it in 4 years of use.

At the risk of proving i'm an idiot, what excactly is "lazerizing" a blade
    Thanks
    Dave

Where's the fun in that?
    We're supposed to have a nice warm Saturday, so I'll be grilling after making my custom BBQ station (weather permitting).
    I'm leaning towards baking soda scrub, acetone, soap and water, dry, blood bath. Haha
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

For mine, it was just nice soft shoulders, really acute bevels and a slight microbevel for durability.
    For many knives, you'd have to thin it and then basically do what I did, except for the microbevel part. That's up o you and whether or not you value durability.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    Well, you don't have to buy a pint of blood and get all crazy with it. Just get some steak of some kind. Cook it for dinner and just dont wipe it off after you cut up your delicious medium rare steak for fajitas. I did that with my kikuichi suji that I got years and years ago. Never had any rust or reactivity problems with it in 4 years of use.
    Like I said over at FF, this and getting a pint of blood for patina purposes aren't the same thing. The "blood" you get from a steak isn't blood, it's protein saturated water, and probably react differently with the steel than real blood.

Well, then get yourself some protein saturated water and let it sit on your knife. It should form a blue patina relatively quickly.

Oh thats what it means, I did that to mine without knowing it , single bevel though

Do you soak it in blood or wrap the blade in a blood soaked papertowel?

Well, I guess it depends on if you want to control the pattern or not. Personally, I cut rare steak and sit the knife to the side for about five minutes. Come back and wipe up and you should have a pretty cool blue thing going on all ready. Let that sit out in the air for a while, then clean the blade with soapy water and go on about your business.

This makes me wonder what raw eggs will do to a knife