Patina Dilemma

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
My wonderful, masculine and talented Misono Swede has been taking a backseat, lately to my other knives. I haven't used it too much in about 2 weeks, because I just lazerized my 210 gyuto and I've fallen in love with another carbon beauty (thanks Rick).
I took it out this morning and noticed some spots of the red cancer...rust!
I had enough time to take some wet/dry to it and get rid of the problem, and rub it down with mineral oil. I placed it back in its saya and while I was out for my pre-work run I thought. I can't let this happen... I need to force a patina.
So, what do you think? Should I???

Sounds more like an excuse to get a nice piece of red meat, cook it for dinner (rare to mid rare of course), and slice it up. That's what I do every time I need to kick-start a nice patina. I have done the forced before with a mustard/vin solution, and it came out okay. Just prefer the looks of a natural one.

Thanks for talking me through this! I slept on it, and after seein your response, I agree!
The mineral oil will hold it over until the weekend, then it's rare roast, in the sunny weather (I hope) time!

A patina tip, after you use the knife, wash and dry it ,wait for a while to oil it. gives the patinsa time to form.

force a patina with cow blood. Makes it blue and awesome.

I am going to force a blood patina. Worst case scenario, I scrub it off and build up a natural one again.
I suggested the blood thing to another guy at FF and some seemed to think it would equal rust. I'll give it a try this weekend and let you guys know!

Where can you buy a bucket of blood for this? :scratchhead:

Asian grocers often have it for stews and soups, all collected that day. If you call ahead to a butcher that gets non-cryovac'd sides you can get it too.

Well, you don't have to buy a pint of blood and get all crazy with it. Just get some steak of some kind. Cook it for dinner and just dont wipe it off after you cut up your delicious medium rare steak for fajitas. I did that with my kikuichi suji that I got years and years ago. Never had any rust or reactivity problems with it in 4 years of use.

At the risk of proving i'm an idiot, what excactly is "lazerizing" a blade
Thanks
Dave

Where's the fun in that? ;)
We're supposed to have a nice warm Saturday, so I'll be grilling after making my custom BBQ station (weather permitting).
I'm leaning towards baking soda scrub, acetone, soap and water, dry, blood bath. Haha

For mine, it was just nice soft shoulders, really acute bevels and a slight microbevel for durability.
For many knives, you'd have to thin it and then basically do what I did, except for the microbevel part. That's up o you and whether or not you value durability.

Well, you don't have to buy a pint of blood and get all crazy with it. Just get some steak of some kind. Cook it for dinner and just dont wipe it off after you cut up your delicious medium rare steak for fajitas. I did that with my kikuichi suji that I got years and years ago. Never had any rust or reactivity problems with it in 4 years of use.

Like I said over at FF, this and getting a pint of blood for patina purposes aren't the same thing. The "blood" you get from a steak isn't blood, it's protein saturated water, and probably react differently with the steel than real blood.

Well, then get yourself some protein saturated water and let it sit on your knife. It should form a blue patina relatively quickly.

Oh thats what it means, I did that to mine without knowing it , single bevel though

Do you soak it in blood or wrap the blade in a blood soaked papertowel?

Well, I guess it depends on if you want to control the pattern or not. Personally, I cut rare steak and sit the knife to the side for about five minutes. Come back and wipe up and you should have a pretty cool blue thing going on all ready. Let that sit out in the air for a while, then clean the blade with soapy water and go on about your business.

I've tried just straight blood on a carbon knife a couple of times and I wan't that impressed. To be fair it was blood from kidneys so maybe that played a part. I applied about 5 or 6 layers with a pastry brush and it left the knife with a slight blue colour, but as soon as I cut anything with it, it went away and formed the more normal brown/bronze colour

This is going to sound nuts, but blood with creatin-alkali powder mixed in would likely do a great job...hmmm

i find a layer of ketchup followed by a layer of mustard (clean and dry between applications) gives a pretty good and reasonably pretty patina, quite quickly.

What colour does the ketchup and mustard combo turn the steel?

Or rather, what colour patina does it create?

dark blueish-purpley, with some amber streaks, usually. it would depend on the steel, of course, and how long the exposure and how often you apply it, but that's my experience on a few different knives.

Sounds awesome! Less gruesome too....

check out the pics of my Konosuke in the patina thread. that was several applications of mustard, but the ketchup seems to "prime" the steel somehow and makes it take the mustard patina more quickly and evenly.

Latest posts

Back