Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: jck fu rin ka zan and fujiwara nashiji line, same basic knife?

But if you thin it I bet it could be much improved

I'm gonna take close measurements of my Carter and see if I can try to mimic the grind. Fat chance, but hey.. all I can lose is a decent knife.

Mine cuts great. Maybe you got a fatty?

Mine cuts great too. I asked Koki to send me his thinnest. But it still wedges on hard veggies. There's nothing you can do about that unless you turn it into a laser. The limits of geometry.

I've had the fujiwara nishiji santoku for many years- great edge, but F&F is really bad. choil isn't square and is unpolished to the point of being sharp, the spine has uneven layer on the laminate (core steel vs. cladding), etc. perhaps the JCK version is better. I've taken to using the fuji as an experiment to work on different edge angles and bevels to see what I like best. I'll eventually do some handwork and have already mirror polished and etched below the shinogi line (looks great BTW). once polished up with a nice finish it's going to be a fantastic performer - I've never had a problem with the sharpness or the edge retention, so it's good steel overall.

my feeling is that the nishiji is the reject/ less finished version of the maboroshi.

Quote Originally Posted by Hbeernink View Post
    I've had the fujiwara nishiji santoku for many years- great edge, but F&F is really bad. choil isn't square and is unpolished to the point of being sharp, the spine has uneven layer on the laminate (core steel vs. cladding), etc. perhaps the JCK version is better. I've taken to using the fuji as an experiment to work on different edge angles and bevels to see what I like best. I'll eventually do some handwork and have already mirror polished and etched below the shinogi line (looks great BTW). once polished up with a nice finish it's going to be a fantastic performer - I've never had a problem with the sharpness or the edge retention, so it's good steel overall.

my feeling is that the nishiji is the reject/ less finished version of the maboroshi.
    With regard to the last part, that is truly not the case at all. They are made entirely as different lines.

ah good to know - thanks