Knives in Austin, Texas?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackslimpson

Reaction score
Does anyone have any intel on any cool knife vendors or custom makers in Austin, TX? I'm going to spend about 3 days there.

Cheers,

Jack

I am not aware of any on either front. Hope someone else chimes in with better news.

None that I know of either, unfortunately. There is a great event here that is a two week long showcase for the arts, artisans, craftsman and the like. I've never seen anyone with knives, and have really been on the lookout. But, there is some interesting woodworking and metalworking around town.

There are a few. When I worked there, there was maybe 2 nice yanagis. You'll find more exciting stuff at Uchiko.

As a current prep cook at Uchi, I can tell you most here favor the Nenox knives. I've seen a few Masanobu's but the general preference is the Nenox. I'm awaiting my Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa-Gyuto 240mm to arrive Wednesday as part of our Restaurant's group order from Korin.

Group order from Korin? That's cool! Is it just the standard 15% off or more since it's in a group? I remember there was an awsome Konosuke group buy a couple ages ago...

I wanna say it was more (but not much more) than the standard 15%. All I do know is that between the two Austin Restauants (not including Uchi Houston) we spent over $20,000.00!!!

Phan1,

What's even nicer is that the restaurant fronts the money for the order and we have the option of dispersing the payments over four paychecks!!!

Group order from Korin? That's cool! Is it just the standard 15% off or more since it's in a group? I remember there was an awsome Konosuke group buy a couple ages ago...

I believe restaurants through a vendor get around 20%. Not bad considering you don't have to wait for a coupon. And on the note of there being a craftsman, haven't heard or seen one yet. Would be nice to have someone open a shop with imported and crafted domestic knives!

Back