Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan Trip Knife Suggestions

Absolutely. I've come across a few mom and pop shops selling beautiful knives. I liken it to some of the famous blues artists like R.L. Burnside who were completely unknown till someone with a camera spread the word. If it is a quality piece don't worry abou the brand.

In Kyoto most itineraries being people to Nijo castle. You can conveniently check out 2 shops that are only a few blocks away. The first is Shigeharu. He makes nice knives. Some interesting pieces in stainless clad Aogami Super too. Another shop is Yasushige which is very close to Shigeharu. These are two shops that are known within the knife community but as they have no distribution, etc. you'll hardly ever see them outside Japan. They don't see a lot of tourists either.

As for the tuna auction it is good that you are only a few blocks away because there is no public transportation that early. Beware that you will have to arrive closer to 4am for the auction. You'll have to stand in line for tickets and there are a limited number. Take the opportunity to wander the outer market for breakfast after the auction. There are a bunch of shops selling the best sushi and sashimi in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jalanpipes View Post
    That's all really helpful advice. Thanks to everyone! I'll be staying in Shiodome only a few blocks from Tsukiji, and we plan to go early (4:30am, I hear) to the tuna auction for fun. I'll be sure to look around there for some knives. I just remembered that I need a yanagiba too. I'm sure I may come home with more than I intended.

Tripleq, thanks for the Kyoto recommendation. I'll do some research and see how feasible that is with our schedule.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the japanese knife market (and culture) is so expansive that there are far more labels than an are seen or know in the US.

stumbled across this http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/an...?sort=3&page=0 you may find it helpful [and hurtful to your wallet.. photos of this guys knife tour.. have fun

Wow, some of those shops make even Korin look like a small town flea market booth. I might have to rethink putting a trip to Japan on my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    Wow, some of those shops make even Korin look like a small town flea market booth. I might have to rethink putting a trip to Japan on my bucket list.
    On yeah. A salesperson at Ichimonji told me told me they usually have over 5000 knives in their in-store inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    There are a bunch of shops selling the best sushi and sashimi in the world.
    The fish is most certainly extremely good, but it can be rather haphazardly made.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

just keep in mind that many of the places on that map are not storefronts, but rather workshops... workshops arent set up for visitors and it can be extremely rude to just show up (and sometimes people arent even there). Visiting stores, on the other hand, is much easier and set up for people to come in.

That's an excellent map and great for knife tourism! It's true you don't usually know if any of the places are set up for visitors or not, but I'd say it's worth a try to see. You should be able to hire a bike anywhere and then just take your map and try and find a few places. If you're polite yourself, I really don't think anyone would be offended or rude to you and if they're busy or you can't go in then fine and you'll understand and can be on your way. It's Japan after all so people are nice, and I think they'd at least appreciate your interest (even if a surprise visit form a foreigner might be awkward, and don't expect anyone to speak your language). But does sound like it's better to phone ahead if possible.

Will be very memorable if you can visit a few places, especially a workshop or two. Good luck!

"it's just Japan after all" attitude, I think, can sometimes really hurt though Setting a bad example (even though yourself wouldn't be yelled at or anything) can hurt everyone else from foreign countries as well. I always think just showing up is not just rude but offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by alex9635 View Post
    Wow, nice stuff! Saved for my Japan trip this later this year!