Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: jck fu rin ka zan and fujiwara nashiji line, same basic knife?

  1. #1
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    2,307

    jck fu rin ka zan and fujiwara nashiji line, same basic knife?

    is there any difference between these 2 lines of knives besides the handles? and the price tag?
    http://japanesechefsknife.com/Furink...eSteel#1Series
    http://www.teruyasu.jp/en/products/gyuto.html

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    871
    I believe they are the same.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    is there any difference between these 2 lines of knives besides the handles? and the price tag?
    http://japanesechefsknife.com/Furink...eSteel#1Series
    http://www.teruyasu.jp/en/products/gyuto.html
    With the Fujiwara what is the difference between the 3 types of gyutos? Maboroshi, Nashiji, and Denka?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    With the Fujiwara what is the difference between the 3 types of gyutos? Maboroshi, Nashiji, and Denka?
    All are san-mai construction, stainless clad carbon. Nashiji and Maboroshi are both Shirogami #1, with different finishes. Denka is Aogami #1 with a different finish. There may be other more subtle differences too, but I suspect very few people would be privy to them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    452
    If you are willing to go with a 210 gyuto, I highly recommend buying the Maboroshi over the Nashiji. There is a big price leap from 210 to 240. Very weird pricing structure.

    I own the Maboroshi 210, Nashiji 240, and a Denka no Hoto Nakiri. The steel on the Maboroshi and Nashiji behave the same. But the geometry favors the Maboroshi. On my specimen, it's as if I'm cutting with a single-bevel gyuto. There is a highly asymmetric grind, and food falls off. This recommendation applies only if you're a rightie.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    452
    I would like to know whether other people with a Denka or Maboroshi have the same asymmetric grind on their knives. I will post a photo later when I get home.

  7. #7
    May be a differance in the heat treat. Knifewear lists the Fujiwara Nashiji as 64:65HRC, JCK lists the Fu Rin Ka Zan as 63HRC. Numbers are pretty close though, so it could just be differance between different test samples or different interpretations of the same data. Either way, the JCK sure looks interesting. Might just have to pick one up to see how it compares to my Masakage Yuki's.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    871
    Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    May be a differance in the heat treat. Knifewear lists the Fujiwara Nashiji as 64:65HRC, JCK lists the Fu Rin Ka Zan as 63HRC. Numbers are pretty close though, so it could just be differance between different test samples or different interpretations of the same data. Either way, the JCK sure looks interesting. Might just have to pick one up to see how it compares to my Masakage Yuki's.
    I doubt it. White #1 is white #1, he would surely use his best/the same parameters, or he's deliberately compromising one line.

    Knifewear HRC numbers are high in any case, Takeda AS is listed as 63-65, everywhere else 61-63.

    Jon Broida says that Fujiwara "shoots for 64 HRC" in one of his blog posts.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    1,451
    Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    is there any difference between these 2 lines of knives besides the handles? and the price tag?
    http://japanesechefsknife.com/Furink...eSteel#1Series
    http://www.teruyasu.jp/en/products/gyuto.html
    You have not bought one of those Fuji's yet? Last time you posted that knife liked it alot. mkriggen go for it then I can check out yours

  10. #10
    Senior Member labor of love's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dirty south, louisiana
    Posts
    2,307
    I've been putting off pulling the trigger on the JCK for like a year and a half, while I wait on some customs I have on order, I may pick up either the JCK or ginsanko tanaka gyuto.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •