Quantcast
A Different Type of Wood
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Different Type of Wood

A Different Type of Wood

The title probably fooled you handle freaks into reading it, but what I am talking about is grilling wood.

Grilling season is starting, and this weekend I am going to be using my smoking chips from Maine Grilling Woods. I got their sampler late last year, and I really love them. 10 varieties of wood to try out, and I actually soak them in a mixture of (cheap) red wine and water.

Of course, I could also hang out near the garbage bin behind BoardSmith Dave's shop for wood chips, but he is too far away.

King salmon is on the menu this weekend.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Of course, I could also hang out near the garbage bin behind BoardSmith Dave's shop for wood chips, but he is too far away.
    That's a good idea! I think I remember someone getting some at one point before. Maybe I'll be able to get some when I visit. That man goes through tons of wood...

Salmon sounds good, can we expect some mouth watering pictures?
    - Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Potato42 View Post
    Salmon sounds good, can we expect some mouth watering pictures?
    Maybe. But it depends upon how much wine I drink before those chips finish soaking.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I just did salmon with apple and pear chips. Best salmon I've ever had. Wife thought so too.

I want some grapefruit wood, but it's not so easy to find around here.

Where did you get pear chips?

k.

When we cut down a pear tree I saved some logs for chips. There are some BBQ places not far who sell me a box of wood when I need it.

There are some real distinctive woods like mesquite, which is too strong, but I don't have much of a preference between most woods. Fruitwoods for pork and poultry but I mix in oak or whatever is available. I also stopped soaking several years ago when it didn't seem to make a difference. The liquid coats but doesn't really penetrate much.

Is using mixed firewood okay?

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Where did you get pear chips?

k.
    Locally. A guy had them advertised on Craigslist. I bought several pounds...almost out though.

Quote Originally Posted by mano View Post
    Is using mixed firewood okay?
    I mix different types of wood all the time...in fact I rarely use a single wood type for smoking anymore.

Oak is a great neutral base smoke, paired with whatever else you're trying to work in, such as pear chips. It would be a good way to make those chips last a little longer, Adam.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Oak is a great neutral base smoke, paired with whatever else you're trying to work in, such as pear chips. It would be a good way to make those chips last a little longer, Adam.
    Great idea. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread