Wax on? Wax off?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripleq

Reaction score
Proud BoardSmith owner here. I'm wondering what the possible pitfalls are of using mineral oil minus the beeswax? Does the beeswax really provide better protection than a regular oiling?

The beeswax makes for a more durable finish. Using just mineral oil is fine

I'm a big fan of the beeswax..... until I ever want to resurface the board by sanding it, and the wax clogs up my sandpaper. :) Beeswax rocks but plain mineral oil will do the job just fine.

I'm a big fan of the beeswax..... until I ever want to resurface the board by sanding it, and the wax clogs up my sandpaper. :) Beeswax rocks but plain mineral oil will do the job just fine.

That is exactly what I asked the question. Wax off it is. Thanks!!!!

All my boards first saok in a mineral oil bath and are allowed to drain for 12+ hours. Them the Board Butter is buffed in with a high speed buffer. Using only mineral oil is really all that is needed. The Board Butter is simply an additional top coat which provides for a little extra resistance to moisture and will fill in any knife marks.

The replies from the other posters are correct.

I find that sometimes when I am finished oiling that the oil seeps back out from the board even though the board had previously absorbed everything. Does that mean I am putting to much oil?

Back