Quantcast
Pressure Cooker, Chamber Vac, Sous Vide Unit.... - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pressure Cooker, Chamber Vac, Sous Vide Unit....

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Thanks MB...I'll have to mull the 10/12 question. I've used 12" for 90% of my cooking for some years...

The link said that the pan is only oven safe to 400F for 10 minutes...WTH? I would think this thing would be bulletproof in the oven. What gives?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    Great update! I see you certainly went large enough on the PC! Not sure to get a 6 or 7.4? GET AN 8! That thing is a beast!

Sorry to hear about the pan, that made me sad to see: like losing an old friend.

You should also look at Paderno heavy carbon steel pans. I got one to replace my debuyer mineral that warped. Carbons steel takes a bit longer to get a stable patina, but it's though as nails and seems to resist warping / return to unwarped state much better than iron.
    Its also a bit lighter and has an optional oem silicon handle sleeve that fits really well. Cheaper too...
    Honestly, I think it's a great size...wider than it is high, but high enough to fit pint-size mason jars (7 of them!). I was worried it would be a little cumbersome, but I don't think so at all after using it for about 10 hours now. That being said, I have a generously sized kitchen to store it in.

I'll have to do some digging on the Paderno vs DeBuyer....I know there is a huge long thread on here about love for the DeBuyers though...
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Thanks MB...I'll have to mull the 10/12 question. I've used 12" for 90% of my cooking for some years...

The link said that the pan is only oven safe to 400F for 10 minutes...WTH? I would think this thing would be bulletproof in the oven. What gives?

The handle is coated in some sort of clear powdercoat, I think that is the problem, but I still put mine in the oven with no problems yet.

You may be able to find some DeBuyer pans at Tuesday Morning, I got mine there for over half off.

Ha, there's also a thread about paderno THREAD WAR!

MB: dont know what specifically caused it, crappy electic burner sure didnt help, but induction will be even worse for that. I didnt really abuse it (no full hot to full quench or anything like that), it just seemed to warp as it heated up, but never quite went all the way back to shape afterwards.
    Where as I HAVE really abused the Paderno and while it warps very slightly when heating, it flattens right back out when it reaches even temp or when it cools all the way off after. I wanted a pan that didnt need babying; ive already got a vintage Wagner for fussing over.
    Another point I'll add is that the paderno has better dynamic temp response, but still plenty of thermal inertia.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Comparing De Buyer Mineral and Paderno is apples and oranges. De Buyer makes a blue steel pan that weighs less than the mineral lines and is considerably cheaper - just like the Paderno.

That said I don't know what "Mineral" means about the actual composition of the pan. Do know that I prefer De Buyer Mineral B to De Buyer Blue Steel. No experience w Paderno.

Prob one of those things where you can't make a bad choice.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Sorry been busy with work - Heard about chilling on cooking issues podcast and it does make a difference. Basically you let it cool down for 20-30 minutes then into cold water then ice water. Did some tests awhile back with duck confit and the moisture leakage was much lower in the 2 stage process and texture a little more natural.

My vote is de buyer hi temp..had the lyonaise pan that is way thin! but the hi temps are great.

JC, Wonderful feedback. I'm going to give it a try with the wings I've got to pull tonight. Any other SV gems you want to share?
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

With a stirred bath you can cook from frozen or defrost. It is routine now to batch cook stock/curries/ragu and vac seal flat then freeze.

Oh and Sausages...63.5c for 1 - 1.5 hours, let cool then brown in pan.

Was recommended by the maitre'd at a top Sydney restaurant...as "Life changing!"

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Comparing De Buyer Mineral and Paderno is apples and oranges. De Buyer makes a blue steel pan that weighs less than the mineral lines and is considerably cheaper - just like the Paderno.

That said I don't know what "Mineral" means about the actual composition of the pan. Do know that I prefer De Buyer Mineral B to De Buyer Blue Steel. No experience w Paderno.

Prob one of those things where you can't make a bad choice.
    Debuyer "Mineral" is named as such because they are made of pure iron(a mineral), Paderno (and I'm guessing the blue steel) is carbon steel.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Anybody seen/used something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R051DE/...0_pd_re_dt_dt2

Thoughts?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

+ Reply to Thread