Producing contrast finish on a bevel with slight overgrinds and surface variation.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkdc

Reaction score
Does anyone have tips on refinishing the surface of a bevel that has surface variations and slight overgrinds in depth because it was hand-finished on a grinding wheel? I want to produce a high contrast finish with a muddy finishing stone, but I do not want to remove more steel since it would reduce the convex nature of most of the surface. I'm guessing that a finger stone is the only option -- otherwise I can just leave it ugly. I'm wondering how this was done at the factory since the finished surface is not smooth. :scratchhead:

Well, you answered your own question. In my experience there is no other way unless you want a gloss finish produced on polishing wheels. The best is to use thin finger stones and allow them to crack so the small pieces will follow the contour of the over grinds. Also, use the mud with a cork or chunk of felt to continue after the stones are gone. It can be a pita.

I dothis with a say 600 grit 3M sandpaper with a rubber backing to even it out adn the followed with mud from stones.

I read on this forum that the Kings stone 800 grit leaves a nice contrast.

The contrast I get is light light grey, visible but not that contrasting as I only have stones from other makers.

Safety: knife to be flat on a hard surface adn use a rubber or cork backing adn you dont want to have a deep cut on thumb or index finger.

have fun
d

I have an old magnetic strop holder thingy that works well with single bevels to hold the knife in a way that will avoid cuts. So like zitangy points out you need to be very careful. Someone on the board had this bad experience...

Back