Quantcast
Basics of single-bevel sharpening
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basics of single-bevel sharpening

Basics of single-bevel sharpening

I've watched Jon's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvDjASvVHek)

In the video I get the 5 steps he describes, but after that do we repeat the steps replacing the medium grit stone with the fine grit stone?

FWIW I only have a 1000 and a 6000 stone.

Sponsors
    so... on the medium stone, sharpen the two bevels into the knife... the do the ura on your 6000... the sharpen the two bevels again, but this time on the 6000. Blend them together using the 6k. the if you want to do a microbevel, use your 6k and the do the ura again... otherwise, just do the ura again... check the edge for burrs, wire edges and remove either on the stones or by stropping

Thanks!

BTW this is offtopic but is it ok to permasoak king1000 and arashiyama 6000?

Jon I also was very impressed with your video. One thing, I remember Louisianacook (Lee) doing a tutorial on this subject. His technique was to flatten and polish the ura first, then do the front bevel. You seem to advocate doing both sides incrementilly at the same time.

Want to expound on why you do it the way you do, as opposed to Lee's?

BTW where the heck is he, haven't seen him around in ages....
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

Sponsors
    the way i do it helps minimize the burr and also keep the grinding done on the ura to a minimum... i pretty much only touch it to remove the burr i put on by sharpening the bevel. This amount works out very well for not overdoing the ura.

All that and it also happens to be the way i was trained.

The part I have difficulty with is blending the two bevels. Feels very awkward and I'm not sure if it is accomplishing anything. What does blending it accomplish anyways?

Thanks for the info

well, if you don't blend the bevels then you should see two distinct bevels... i.e. a line between the two of them. If you have two distinct surfaces but you don't have a line between them, just a smooth transition between the two surfaces you've done your job. A complex bevel like that cuts as though it were thinner than if you left the two bevels distinct. Plus there is some physics to the way the convexed bevel pushes the food away that makes for a smoother feeling cut that I don't quite understand, but that I can vouch for.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    the way i do it helps minimize the burr and also keep the grinding done on the ura to a minimum... i pretty much only touch it to remove the burr i put on by sharpening the bevel. This amount works out very well for not overdoing the ura.

All that and it also happens to be the way i was trained.
    Actually what was described was the magic marker trick on the ura, and just flatten to the point that the edge is contacted. Then its polish and leave it alone. Almost all of the grinding is done on the front bevel. Just run the ura on the finest polish stone to remove the burr.

Seems like we are basically saying the same thing in different language.
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

How much pressure when doing the ura? I found myself pushing relatively hard compared to most sharpening actions

+ Reply to Thread