Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best knife for gf/bf who hates knives?

Best knife for gf/bf who hates knives?

At this point, roughly a year after i discovered KKF, my collection is pretty amazing thanks to BST but what I still find funny is that my GF refuses to come close to any of them, she is just plain scared of them. Still, I had to find a knife for her to use and after letting her try a bunch of knives in my collection, ironically enough the only one she would use and one she has become addicted to since she discovered it, is a 7.5" Victorinox Forschner Fibrox Serrated Chef Knife which I basically used only to cut sandwiches in half (quite good for that actually). It runs $24.95 on cutlery and more.. So for some reason she finds serrated knives safer to use than regular edged knives, is this common??

Anyway if anyone else is in this situation, this knife is so cheap, it might be worth checking it out...

Those are people who have never cut themselves with a serrated knife. Most painful, jagged wound ever.

Yeah I understand. I bought my wife a set of Wusthofs. She does not want to use mine. I was seriously thinking about getting her the big set of Victorionox, but the store I went to did not have them in stock, and I was pressed for time.

A cut from a serrated blade is invariably worse/not as clean as a cut with a sharp non-serrated knife. I don't use any serrated knives (cut bread with a gyuto).

I think a good choice for someone scared of super-sharp knives would be a 210 with "laser" geometry, kept slightly dull intentionally.

I know on the very rare occasions I cut myself with one of my knives, it's a clean cut, and so heals cleanly. But still why do people think serrated knives are safer for them?? Anyone have any conjectures??

In my experience, my girl is mostly intimidated because she is afraid to damage them. I believe this is due to the level of care and attention I give my knives; polishings, stones, cleaning, "always dry them afterwards", etc. I encouraged her to use them more and more; "they are meant to be used, they are just knives", etc, and she did but sometimes leaves the carbons sitting with water a little too long, so I have to call her out (very kindly albeit), and the "staining" freaks her out...

Anyway, so after I convinced to retire an old block of german knives she had, i got her a used pair of Mac's (stainless), which are fairly bullet proof, and she is very happy. I have to watch over her sometimes as she learns to not stick her thumb out!

Over the last 2-3 years that I've come into quality knives I find generally that girls I've dated find my thing for knives "cute" but they don't have any interest in them, therefore they are not vested in them..? Still searching for that "one"..

And they do have a thing for serrated knives...

Fear isn't about logic

I got my wife a tanaka vg10 petty. Small, affordable and a nice thin cutter , and .... I never comment on any abuse... ;D

Something small and stainless or at least stainless-clad with a tall height to length ratio.
    -like a little Carter funa or that sweet Gesshin Heji petty.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by Dardeau View Post
    Those are people who have never cut themselves with a serrated knife. Most painful, jagged wound ever.
    yep , second time I lost a finger, dull serrated knife.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.