Black Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamin

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about "black steel" or is it just a gimmick from c*k*t*g?

Thanks!

And just like any other steel, it is only as good as the person doing the ht/grind, etc...kind of like a richmond aebl--good steel (potential), half-ass knife.

I had an itto ryu in white #1and it was deba thick and had terrible fit and finish....

I don't think he's referring to those black-finish Itto-ryu knives, but rather to that other brand which is purportedly made from "black steel" and is finished by a "sword polisher".

I think he is talking about ******** knives (******** means "black"). These are imported by Ken and sold only through CK2G. They also call the steel "black steel"... They might be good but for 1k and so many secrets Ill never find out.

Yeah, I was referring to the ones imported by Ken. I was just curious, but I agree way too much money for something shrouded in mystery.

im pretty sure if its black steel from the site not allowed here than its the itto ryu black mirror single bevel gyutos

im pretty sure if its black steel from the site not allowed here than its the itto ryu black mirror single bevel gyutos

Nope. Go to that site and look at knives beginning with "N"

Those black-finish Itto-ryu knives are Shiro #1.

Nuuu ba toooo muh, by the great Kenmeister...lots of wabisabi.:lol2:

3v634e.jpg

Would covering steel with blue Dykem layout fluid make it blue steel? If so, I can get black, red and some other cool colors and start offering a whole range of steels. I have heard one can get a whole lot of money for black steel.

M

Black Steel = Snake Oil

It's either steel that's been etched/blued and then likely buffed (for the shiny "mirror" effect) or it's just a fake name made up by a fraud.

The video of the yanagi being used to ruin a price of fish isn't exactly what I'd called good advertising...

I don't know the yanagiba did a fine job cutting the fish I think the person handling it could stand to improve knife skills a bit, but I don't think it was awful.

The knives on the other hand are an entirely different story

They have a list of steel on cktg that explains each ones characteristics. Oddly they don't have any info on black steel. That's a red flag to me.

Back