Knife For 40$

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andryuxa1985

Reaction score
Hello guys

i'm looking for not very expensive knife, up to 40$
i'm from israel, but buying it in the us

i'll use it for cooking, to cut a vegetables and also bread and meat. length of knife about 10". i use wood and synthetic cutting board. and i know to sharpen knive.

i've found this knife of Victorinox . what is yours opinion about it?
and do you have any information about Arcos knives?

thank you very much!

Last edited by a moderator:
Victorinox Forschner is very good bang for the buck. Its stamped blade comes very thin so it would feel still sharpen than thicker forged blades when a little duller. Very easy to sharpen. Unfortunately the soft steel makes it goes out of true easily, so a fine hone rod[/sharpening steel] is a good idea, most would probably recommend ceramic or something very very fine without grooves to prevent messing up your sharpened edge and work.

I've heard the Victorinox Forschner Rosewood Handle line feels much better in the hand, but maybe a few dollars above your budget. However, I have not handled the Rosewood line knife.

I use a Forschner 10" Chef's Fibrox knife at work, good when it's sharp, but dulls in an hour, and I use a steel frequently throughout my shift. I also cut a lot of meat on poly cutting boards, so with the Forschner I sharpen nearly everyday if I'm not feeling lazy or tired. However, it'll definitely be okay for home cooking, and have the time to sharpen. You can play with the bevel angle for sharpness vs edge retention (ie 15 degrees vs 20 degrees).

If you can stretch your budget, look into Fujiwara or Tojiro as a big step up from Forschner. It'll be sharper and stay sharper for much longer. No matter what you get, I definitely recommend a 10" or 240mm+ knife, unless you have a very small working space; the knives will feel much better, and you will appreciate the extra length.

I think Hida Tool has a Tosa 210 funiyuki for pretty cheap. I have the 165mm, and it's a champ!

thank you guys!!!

and what about Arcos? Have you ever heard about this knife company?

I have never heard of them, but I personally do not like knives with bolsters. They get in the way and make sharpening a little more difficult. I also recommend the Victorinox Forschner.

i'm with no chop, i love those tosa knives. dirt cheap and worth every penny.

but if you want a longer knife, i'd go for a victorinox as i am not a cleaver guy.

it'd be worth trying though, the cck cleaver.

I've read about an Israel knife recently that was local (to region) but owner now uses Lamson to produce. Maybe nice to find them. It was a horrible design but since coming to US has been updated nicely.

Thank u! Does those Kiwi knives really quality?

I would not say they are quality by any means. But they work very well considering you just paid 8 bucks for a chef knife. Use it and when it breaks or whatever get another one.

Latest posts

Back