Custom Knife Makers Style

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamin

Reaction score
All the knives that I own are Japanese, but for a while now I've been tossing around the idea of getting a custom US made knife. I also, realized that I really don't know too much about the different makers other than the most commonly known information. I couldn't find too much from just searching through old posts either.

So I was hoping to hear from everyone what sets the custom makers here in the US apart from one another. I know that price can be a huge factor, but why would you buy a Rodrigue blade over one from Tsourkan? I know the DT makes amazing damascus designs and he is great with AEB-L but what else does he do that sets him apart from the rest of the pack? So my main question is who's knife would you buy? Why them and not someone else?

It's pretty much the same criteria that you'd use when buying a high-end automobile - your budget, the time you will wait to get to the top of the list, and above all, your personal taste. I own, or have owned knives from most all of the custom makers who are members here - I'm still waiting for my Tsourkan, and I haven't yet gotten one from Will Catcheside - and each one is a reflection of the bladesmith who crafted it. More than anything else, it comes down to what strikes your particular fancy. So whose knives catch your eye?

Rick

I like the looks of Marko's knives quite a bit. At the same time I'm a bit tempted to go for a DT. Price aside what are the differences between their knives?

I like the looks of Marko's knives quite a bit. At the same time I'm a bit tempted to go for a DT. Price aside what are the differences between their knives?

I have one of Marko's custom in AEBL and I couldn't be happier with it. I know Marko and Devin are good friends and I think their approaches are similar. Couldn't tell you exactly what the differences are, but you can't go wrong with either of them.

Marko does not forge so most of his knives are mono steel. He also prefers "D" handles as apposed to octagonal. He does a "S" grind. He is fluent in 4 or 5 languages and weighs half of what I do. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Hoss

Marko does not forge so most of his knives are mono steel. He also prefers "D" handles as apposed to octagonal. He does a "S" grind. He is fluent in 4 or 5 languages and weighs half of what I do. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Hoss

Hah!

Hoss

Is the "S" grind like the wave grind that Bob Kramer does?

All I know I everyone raves at DT's knives. I just want to try one out!

Back