Muddy stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbochef422

Reaction score
I have a blue aoto and love it even though its glued to a tile bc it cracked in three pieces. I like muddy stones and are there any that compliment the aoto or any recommendation for someone who likes it muddy?

I liked Arashiyama (or Takeno) as the next stone after syn blue aoto quite a bit, but that's before I moved on to muddy natural stones.

LOL, takashima from Jon (had one in the past) is probably a good start. Otherwise, Maxim would have a few good specimens of hakka and hideriyama that should suit your need.

you sir seem to have similar taste in stones (and knives as well). i have a naniwa omura, an xl red brick, and a synth aoto soaking away and based on my research am looking for an arishiyama 6k extra wide to round it out.

Funny you should ask.. I just made a massive amount of mud today with my finisher "Awase To" from Japan Woodworker.. Grade #5 as opposed to 3 or 7. However, 3 may be similar (or even muddier?), but I suspect 7 is harder. I got my stone so muddy it finished basically straight off of 700 grit. I have gotten a chisel to stand on it bevel down

I'll take some pics on the next knife I sharpen, it's pretty real!! had a blast w it today

Back