Quantcast
Knife recommendations and a few quick questions - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife recommendations and a few quick questions

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Tojiro white steel has poor fit/finish and often horrible grind issues--from experience.
    Agree. The knife has poor fit and finish, thick and pretty bad grind issues. That said, if you're willing to work on the knife, it can be a pretty fun knife. It takes a nice edge.

The issue is that there aren't many sub $100 wa-gyutos.

Misono Swedish Carbon 210 with 15% off at korin right now makes it right about at 100 dollars. Done and Done

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    Misono Swedish Carbon 210 with 15% off at korin right now makes it right about at 100 dollars. Done and Done
    Unfortunately, the OP is looking for a knife with a wa handle.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

anyone have anything to say on the yamashins? they look to be of good quality - also, for these so called "project knives" what kind of work would that entail?

Any of the handles on a sub 100 carbon wa are gonna shoddy not to mention the blades being a project. Was giving an option of a solid carbon for 100 with good f&f that will come out the box ready to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    Any of the handles on a sub 100 carbon wa are gonna shoddy not to mention the blades being a project. Was giving an option of a solid carbon for 100 with good f&f that will come out the box ready to roll.

I'm definitely still considering it - it looks to be a great knife, but I can't afford to be buying another for a while after this and really want to weigh my options, as well as get the knife I'll be happiest with. Your input is appreciated though, this one is probably topping my list for knives if I give up on getting a wa handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    I'm definitely still considering it - it looks to be a great knife, but I can't afford to be buying another for a while after this and really want to weigh my options, as well as get the knife I'll be happiest with. Your input is appreciated though, this one is probably topping my list for knives if I give up on getting a wa handle.
    I really don't think there are many good options for you at $100 by the lack of responses. Personally, I can't think of a good wa handle gyuto option in the sub $100 range.

I think there's a real difference in quality between just under $100 and going to $150. That being said, if you want to get a good knife that you're going to be happy with for a while, if you go up to the $150 range, you could get this:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...-wa-gyuto.html

It comes with a saya, is a very good performing knife for the price, and something that I think you'd be happy with for some time. I've used the 240 and found it to be a very good performing knife, so much so that I gave a 240 as a wedding present.

If you go with something cheaper, IMHO, you're taking chances. If you buy something cheap that you're not happy with and use it, you may not be able to return it. And, if you have to thin or do other things to it to get it to work well, you're definitely not going to be able to return it and, even then, it might not be as good as you hoped it would be. Just food for thought.

In fact, I think if you asked people for options in the up to $150 range, you'd see a lot more options. I can think of several more options off the top of my head if you're willing to go up to $150, but I would still recommend the Uraku in that price range. There are also options on B/S/T here.
    Michael

http://www.phoenixknifehouse.com/sug...8-3-210mm.html

Good cutter, thin with highly asymmetric grind and basic wa-handle - $78. Reasonably hard, fine-grained easy-to-sharpen stainless, considerably cheaper than the 240/270 from this maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    http://www.phoenixknifehouse.com/sug...8-3-210mm.html

Good cutter, thin with highly asymmetric grind and basic wa-handle - $78. Reasonably hard, fine-grained easy-to-sharpen stainless, considerably cheaper than the 240/270 from this maker.
    Nice find!
    Michael

The Yamawaku Seb's post has a Resin Collar & burnt chestnut handle.It is not Buff. horn which which you will not get in a sub. 100.00 knife.But the wood & collar are better than the Tojiro which has that crap soft plastic collar.

+ Reply to Thread