Quantcast
Knife recommendations and a few quick questions - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife recommendations and a few quick questions

I haven't used a Yamawaku gyuto much, but out of the box, it's decently finished, has rounded spine and choil, and is thinner behind the edge than the Tojiro shirogami. As keithsaltydog noted, the Yamawaku's resin collar and burnt chestnut handle is better than Tojiro's plastic and ho handle.

Okay so...if I AM willing to go up to $150...then what are my options? Keep in mind I'd prefer carbon steel, especially at this price point where I've been told there remains a marked difference.

There's the Tanaka Blue#2 from metalmasters. His ebay store list it cheaper than his website store. It's need a bit of work but at that price point it's hard to beat. You can search for panda's thread and read more about it.

Tanakas are good. Just round the spine and choil with some sand paper and oil the handle and they act like much more expensive knives. I have a 270mm. But the cladding will rust pretty quickly. You can just scrub it with barkeepers friend every time you use it until a good patina forms and it will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Okay so...if I AM willing to go up to $150...then what are my options? Keep in mind I'd prefer carbon steel, especially at this price point where I've been told there remains a marked difference.
    http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...hi-gyuto.html#

I've never used one, but I've held and seen most of the line carried by Jon. They're just not my thing. But, they're generally well regarded by the community.

Is there a specific reason why you want to buy a carbon steel knife?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I've just gotten used to carbons - my main knives have been a carbon cleaver, and a century old carbon chef knife handed to my by my grandparents. I like the look, the feel, and how carbon takes and maintains an edge vs. stainless. True, I haven't really used any really high end stainless for comparison, but I've just found I like carbon knives a lot.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    http://www.phoenixknifehouse.com/sug...8-3-210mm.html

Good cutter, thin with highly asymmetric grind and basic wa-handle - $78. Reasonably hard, fine-grained easy-to-sharpen stainless, considerably cheaper than the 240/270 from this maker.
    Seems hard to go wrong with this one.

Handles on the Tanaka Blues are horrible

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    Really? - They are perfectly functional in my experience. Some perspective is needed when discussing $100 gyutos.

Quote Originally Posted by easy13 View Post
    Plain, yes; horrible, not so much.

My Tanaka petty has a ho wood D-handle with a horn ferrule. There is no step between ferrule and handle, unlike the bargain basement handles found on Tojiro ITK's.

Rick
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

+ Reply to Thread