Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are knives your passion?

Question Why are knives your passion?

I was talking to my sister about some projects I have in mind, and I casually stated that knives are my passion.

She asked me why? I at first went blank then wrote her back:
    You ask hard questions.... I of course gravitate to all things cooking. And a knife is the main tool of a chef. It becomes a personal statement, it becomes a part of your hand. They can be incredibly beautiful, in craftmanship and design.

If I think about it more, I might come up with a more intelligent answer.

So, share with all of us why are knives your passion?
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

cause i woudl hate to be working a "real" job in an office or something

Quote Originally Posted by l r harner View Post
    cause i woudl hate to be working a "real" job in an office or something
    Funny you say that Butch, I also mentioned that to her in a different part of the conversation....I don't think I could go back to an office, I would be bored silly. I would probably wind up searching web for knives and not get any work done!
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

I like kitchen knives and have no passion about other knives.
    The true beauty of the knife is beyon what you can see in a knife, it got a history like no other.
    What I truly like is to see the passion, the skill and the craftmanship and time that is put into a handmade knife.
    I really love knives with storries to tell, and some are really cool.
    When we eat we can talk about the food, the wine, the glasses and of course the knives.
    And you dont have to go custom to tell a story: Maestro Wu knives is a cool example

Knowing the history of knives (jknives are really cool) you know you hold a little piece of history in your hand

(and next year Im going for a Maestro Wu knife, just because it tells an awesome story

Why do people like performance cars? Think of all those people who watch cars zooming by at 200mph+ and derive enjoyment from it. I like performance cars, but don't care for the sport.

In my case, I have always been a knife nut, but an user, not a collector. I can get by with 2-3 knives and not feel deprived.

An obsession could be a good thing, if you channel the energy into a right direction. My current obsession is performance knives that will outperform Japanese in most aspects - edge retention, edge stability, and be at least on par with sharpness. And this won't be a hypothetical assertion - the knives will have undergo extensive testing (including third party testing), and using in a pro environment. I am sure, many here (Dave included) are on the same quest, so we have a lot of fun stuff ahead of us.

That is passion for me. I enjoy using knives and would love to own a few knives from top US makers, but I have no passion for collecting.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I had to think about this one in order to clarify it for myself. For me, it's because (a) I enjoy good food, (b) enjoy the performance of good knives, (c) strive to keep improving the food that I make, and (d) appreciate others who strive to do the best and make the best that they can.

Although I am still learning in a great many ways, I strive to do the best that I can and be better each time. I like to associate myself with those who do likewise. I think that is a big part of why I choose the knives that I do.
    Len

I have a thing for all tools and kitchen knives are tools i can use everyday.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

My passion for knives was evident when I was a 8 year old wielding my dad's Snap-On knives and various other folders. I still remember my first pocket knife and wishing I had more excuses to use it. I would whittle all afternoon while listening to Tigers games on the radio, on weekends (for some reason at the time, the jays didn't broadcast in my area).
    As I got a bit older, I got heavily into sports and kind of pretended my passion for knives wasn't there. I'm sure part of this had to do with people's unreasonable fear/dislike for knives.
    While in University, I worked at a butcher shop and a restaurant to make some extra spending money and I realized how much I missed using a decent knife. My love of food and cooking has been a huge part of my life since about the age of 17 and as a direct result (paired with being paid to use a knife) my real passion for knives came out!
    I have always loved quality, well made products, no matter what their use, so my ascent to higher end knives was a very natural one.
    To me, great food deserves to be prepared with great tools. Great tools deserve to be beautiful...and besides, my wife knows that if I have knives I love, I'll spend the majority of my free time prepping and cooking meals. It's a lot easier to have a passion when your spouse is ok with it, so she's definitely partly to blame, along with my Mom, Thom Brogan, Rick and Pierre!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

A good knife and technique affect my final product

Cooking is my passion, and knives are the tools used to express that passion; just as the artist uses his paintbrush, or the photographer uses his camera. Take away my pots and pans and I'll still find some way to cook; take away my knives and I'm pretty much useless. I've been reciting this every time I close my eyes and hit the add to cart or send funds button, and repeating it when I see my bank statement shortly thereafter.