Rebuy the same knife? Mizuno DX Gyuto or something new?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoublestack

Reaction score
I bought my 240 Mizuno Gyuto to work in with a small stable of others, it rose to the top everyday as my workhorse -i loved it so - re handled it after a year - thought we'd be together forever. But I have sharpened, n thinned it too much in four years - it is no longer the all arounder it once was - only 40mm at the heel now, closer to 210mm than 240 heel to tip, w/o heft it once had - it is a line knife now(albeit, best one in the world). Now I need new gyuto.

I am on the shelf for the next 6 weeks with a torn achilles - so there is no sense of urgency here - but when i return to work, it will be with a new knife in my hand.

So, if you were me, would you buy a brand new version of the Mizuno or would you get out there and try something new?

Other knives under consideration - Masamoto KS, KAto, Shigefusa or maybe I can swoop in and score a Marko. Open to any other suggestions too.

This is my main man. No longer the workhorse Gyuto.

P1010014 by mdoublestack, on Flickr

If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely buy the same knife. There are two knives in my kit I'd buy again and again in a heartbeat. A harner utility I bought off the BST section of the old forum and my sugimoto 210 superlative yanagiba that's my "beater" line knife. Certain knives just click with you forever!

I'd then see if Stefan could make that handle once more, as it looks AWESOME!!

If I was in your shoes, I'd definitely buy the same knife. There are two knives in my kit I'd buy again and again in a heartbeat. A harner utility I bought off the BST section of the old forum and my sugimoto 210 superlative yanagiba that's my "beater" line knife. Certain knives just click with you forever!

Dude!!! You just beat me on th pm with harner shun like petty years ago on the old forum. I kicked myself for that one! I wanted it so bad. I sent you a pm and tried to buy it off you! Hilarious. Um, so how about now... you want to sell it??

Get the same one! When you 'click' with a knife, it's yours forever.

I went through kind of the same thing with a Watanabe years ago. I messed around with other knives till I finally got a new one last year. It was a long and expensive way around. Always stick with your true love. ;)

I would get the same knife. I am still looking for "that" knife. Love many I have, but still searching.

Get the Miz. I have a miz 270. I have tried Shig, Heige, and a few others. They just don't come close, as a gyuto. Altho the Gesshin Ittetsu did come close. Believe me when I say when you find that one you will miss it when it is gone.

Take a min to remind yourself this is a fun work hobby and not a purist science endeavor.

Are you in the mood to broaden your cutlery vocabulary -- Grab something new like a kato.
Want to build personality filled by tradition -- stick to your guns.

A lot of this is personal, and sometimes that means placebo.

I'm still a younger guy who wants to try everything once, but I enjoy the old farts at work who've ground down the same doi knife 6 times over the last 40 years. What's your story?

I appreciate that perspective - pretty much sums up the decision.
I have tried a lot of gyutos(maybe 20) since I started cooking(5 years ago) and getting knees deep into knives. I still love trying new knives, and I am constantly looking to buy(try new things) and sell(be able to try new things). That is why I am here, I am a knife nut, as they say.

With that said, I work 12 hours/day with usually one knife in my hand for most of it. Comfort and performance are paramount. I know the attributes I want in a knife. I had that in workhorse that felt like an extension of my hand, and I know could buy it again...
It is personal, why I was curious - what would you guys do?

Take a min to remind yourself this is a fun work hobby and not a purist science endeavor.

Are you in the mood to broaden your cutlery vocabulary -- Grab something new like a kato.
Want to build personality filled by tradition -- stick to your guns.

A lot of this is personal, and sometimes that means placebo.

I'm still a younger guy who wants to try everything once, but I enjoy the old farts at work who've ground down the same doi knife 6 times over the last 40 years. What's your story?

Pretty happy with my Kato when it comes to the workhorse category...

Where do you find a Miz DX right now? I did a quick search and couldn't find any gyutos...

on jck's specials page, half way down. Its quite a hefty price.

Dude!!! You just beat me on th pm with harner shun like petty years ago on the old forum. I kicked myself for that one! I wanted it so bad. I sent you a pm and tried to buy it off you! Hilarious. Um, so how about now... you want to sell it??

Haha, sorry but that knife is going to the grave with me! Many utilities have come and gone but that thing always come out on top. Someday, I'll get 1-2 copy knives made and use me all at once!

Back