Quantcast
Magnetic knife bar location - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic knife bar location

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Cardenas View Post
    Since you're a woodworker, maybe building a knife block would be a better option?

Oh, that is pretty cool (except it's a matching set of knives. . . ). Knives protected, but also visible. I wonder about having taller/shorter sections for knives of different lengths, or just building a tall one and a short one. It looks like there are two long slots, rather than individual slot for each knife. Which would make it more flexible as you buy and sell knives!

Hmm, something attached to the end of the island might work. I'll have to think that one through. Unfortunately, the island has a corian surface, not wood, so I can't integrate the knife block into the island itself.

As promised, here's a picture (excuse the mess):

Going from left to right...
    Dining room door on the far left, so the ends of the cabinets there would be a high traffic area.
    Under the cabinets isn't really big enough for a 240mm gyuto.
    Kitchen sink, which we discussed, followed by more counter top and then the stove. No where great to put a magnetic bar in there.
    On the right side, the other place I mentioned is the side of the fridge for a magnetic bar. It would mean keeping that small counter top area much more clear.
    Then, of course, the island in the middle, which is the natural place to do all prep work.

So, does the picture spur on any creative ideas for locations? I think that unless I can come up with a slick way to attach the knives to the island (probably on the left side in the picture), I'll look into a knife block or similar. I don't think the knife block that I have now for my low quality knives is very good.

Thanks,
    Tyler

I would do the side of the refrigerator or a drawer block if you have the space.

How would you mount a knife bar to the side of the refrigerator?

Tyler why don't you mount them to the wall behind the sodastream next tot cutting board on a wall magnet and get rid of the block? Just clean off the counters

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    How would you mount a knife bar to the side of the refrigerator?
    Probably with some much stronger rare earth magnets on the fridge side of the magnetic bar. Of course, I'd have to take care to make sure the entire bar didn't slide down the fridge when it's loaded with knives and I'd have to make sure that it wasn't on there so hard that I could never take it off again. It would certainly take some experimenting to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Tyler why don't you mount them to the wall behind the sodastream next tot cutting board on a wall magnet and get rid of the block? Just clean off the counters
    That would be a great place to put them, but I don't think the knives would fit well there. I have held up my 6" chef's knife in that area to see how it'd fit against the wall, and I think that's about the max length that I'd want for a knife on a magnetic bar in that area. I don't think a 240mm gyuto or similar would fit well.

Tyler

Six inches? Its got to be at least 18" from the top of the counter to the bottom of the cabinet? Just move the cutting board and various stuff on the counter. its fine of the handle comes doesn a little below the counter molding. Just make sure that you wall magnet is thicker than your trim. thats the best place for it as its close to your prep area and your sink. You could put quite a few of them there and still clear the sink by several feet. Just lay the cutting board flat on the counter and ditch the block.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Six inches? Its got to be at least 18" from the top of the counter to the bottom of the cabinet? Just move the cutting board and various stuff on the counter. its fine of the handle comes doesn a little below the counter molding. Just make sure that you wall magnet is thicker than your trim. thats the best place for it as its close to your prep area and your sink. You could put quite a few of them there and still clear the sink by several feet. Just lay the cutting board flat on the counter and ditch the block.
    Yes, the distance between the counter and upper cabinets is 18" and the knives would fit technically. The 240mm gyuto I'm planning on getting is 15.5" long total, so that doesn't leave much room to slide it in there onto the bar. That's more what I was concerned about, not that it wouldn't technically work, but that it wouldn't be comfortable.

Now, that being said, I played with my steel (which is about the same length as the gyuto) and it worked ok. Not as much space as what I'd consider ideal, but it worked. So I just might take you up on your suggestion.

The downside to that particular spot is that there is an outlet on the wall and a switch for the disposal, leaving a max length of only 16" for a magnetic bar. The section next to the stove has much more room.

Thanks,
    Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by OneStaple View Post
    Hmm, something attached to the end of the island might work. I'll have to think that one through. Unfortunately, the island has a corian surface, not wood, so I can't integrate the knife block into the island itself....
    One actually could integrate the block into the solid surface. And it can be done with woodworking tools. The process would be similar to the way they fabricate and join the corners when building countertops.

But I think wood would be both preferable and a lot easier.

In addition to that open block already shown, here are few blocks (that came up on Google) that might give you a few more to ideas to consider.

Wandering off topic a bit from your specific need, these came up while I was searching and I thought they were cool so I'm posting them.