Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Magnetic knife bar location

As you are saying you are handy woodworker why don't you create/buy a wooden block and attach it to the side of the island? Having knifes close to where you work is much better.
    Also you could create a something like a raised wall on one side of an island and attache the magnetic stir there. But I think first idea would look nicer.

You could mount magnetic bar vertically and have knifes hang horizontally. This is how I have done it.

I'm going to say that you'd be doing yourself a big disservice by hiding your knives in a block. Just saying, your going to lose out on one of the best things about fancy knives. Being able to stare at them. its partly gratutious and parlty practical. Here is an old shot of my knife on my magnets. I have to put them over and outlet too, although I don't have the counter molding to content with.

Name:  photo[1].jpg
Views: 43
Size:  11.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mucho, no issues with dinging blades with that type of strip? I have one like that but was thinking of going solid wood magnetic strip in fear of damaging the blades.

Brian, Nope not at all, they blades don't have any wear marks from the steel either and I'm pretty anal about placement so am always sliding them up and down on the magnet to get the handles even. No wear marks and I've had them at least five years. I woudl say that I'd prefer wood but i can't justify another $200 for new wall blocks

That is reassuring. My meager collection is FAR smaller than yours but at least I can hold off on a Mag Block a bit longer.