Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laser gyuto for birthday

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Konosuke HD is an awesome knife. Semi-stainless carbons are just a wonderful hybrid of two worlds. Unless you are unlucky and get a faulty one, what's there not to like? It cuts like a demon.
    Let's be clear, I wasn't criticizing Konosuke. They appear to be great knives....I came close to pulling the trigger several times. I just find it amusing that the flavor of the month changes so often, whatever the reason.

I heard edge retention on HD is better (markedly) than HD2 if you go the kono route.

Having used both, I found that the HD2 was easier to sharpen and held that edge longer than the HD. I have since sold off both of those knives however. The original HD steel is by no means difficult to sharpen, I just found the HD2 something closer to White#2 in the time and effort it took to sharpen and closer to Super Blue in the retention catagory. YMMV.
    "Meat, vegetables, a fish, an all-around kitchen knife including the bread. It is unsuitable for the thing which is too hard because a blade is thin." -Engrish

Weird, I heard the opposite. Doesn't the HD2 have better edge retention and stain resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by pleue View Post
    I heard edge retention on HD is better (markedly) than HD2 if you go the kono route.
    Weird, I heard the opposite. Doesn't the HD2 have better edge retention and stain resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Konosuke HD is an awesome knife. Semi-stainless carbons are just a wonderful hybrid of two worlds. Unless you are unlucky and get a faulty one, what's there not to like? It cuts like a demon.
    What's a "faulty" one?

Also, a knife that's both easier to sharpen and better edge retention? I'm just a newbie around here, but isn't that contradictory?

Quote Originally Posted by TDj View Post
    What's a "faulty" one?

Also, a knife that's both easier to sharpen and better edge retention? I'm just a newbie around here, but isn't that contradictory?
    A knife can have good steel & edge retention + be easy to sharpen.Often quality steel raises a burr easy as compared to cheap stainless that has lousy edge reten. & is hard to sharpen.On the other end some stainless super hard steels are hard to sharpen but have good retention.To me the best combo knives are good edge -easy sharpen.

Jon at JKI gets alot of Luv here & for good reason.He has some Gesshin stainless thin blades that would make great work knives.The Kono HD is a good blade,it is just that they have gone way up in price.The Sakai Yusuke stainless lazors are good blades too.

The Richmond blade seems thin & good shape,however they need major thinning to cut well.The factory just grinds a 50/50 wedge on the edge.