Laser gyuto for birthday

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyndicateNova

Reaction score
I'll be getting my first laser gyuto for my birthday on the 20th, but I'm torn between the Kono HD2 and Richmond AS. I'll be working on a line and need something that will stand up to hours of use. It would be great if you guys could compare the two knives: edge taking, edge retention, how it feels on the stones, etc. Feel free to toss out recommendations. Thanks for any advice!!! :cool2:
Sam

check out sakai yusuke on ebay and suisin inox wa gyuto.

yeah i wouldn't recommend either of those..
the sakai yusukes and suisins are top notch, as well the gesshin gingas are great.
think of the world of kitchen knives as a small global community, buy something from a person who seems decent, i think that's really important personally

oh hell dude, you're near LA,
GO TO JAPANESE KNIFE IMPORTS IN VENICE
Jon and Sara will take care of you,
it is imperative to support small business like this.

:plus1:

If you have the opportunity to handle some nice knives side by side you should take it. You can be around 50 stunners but one will haunt your dreams. That is the one to get. Laser or not. Let Jon be your Shaman. It'll be a good trip.

These are all great suggestions but you asked about two specific knives so if you're set on these two, go for the Konosuke. If you're open to other options, follow the other suggestions laid out before.

oh hell dude, you're near LA,
GO TO JAPANESE KNIFE IMPORTS IN VENICE
Jon and Sara will take care of you,
it is imperative to support small business like this.

:plus1: Besides the obvious advantage of being able to handle the knives side by side before purchase, Jon is a stand up guy to work with. He'll make sure you get the the knife you need (or at least the knife you want), not the knife he wants to sell you. He'll also spend as much time with you as it takes. Only problem is he's in Japan until the end of the month.

Go to JKI! Already been said. I love the hand-written note I get from Jon or Sara when I order something from JKI. It makes me feel so warm and fuzzy. LOL. :bliss: As to the laser, you'd probably be getting a Gesshin Ginga. It is a fine fine knife.

I'm going to agree with everyone else and suggest that you pay a visit to JKI. Jon's knives have an incredible reputation and you'll get to try them out before buying them, which can save a lot of hassle. Jon's/Sara's advice would be invaluable too.

Just got a hd2 240 and have to say it is expensive but very
Nice. Not really much of a flat spot if that matters to you.
I thought it did to me but after the first use it was all over!
Wouldn't be my choice for line use though.

Have to agree. Can't help but laugh tho'. Things change so quickly around here. Not so very long ago, people were foaming at the mouth over the Konosuke. ;-)

Konosuke HD is an awesome knife. Semi-stainless carbons are just a wonderful hybrid of two worlds. Unless you are unlucky and get a faulty one, what's there not to like? It cuts like a demon.

Konosuke HD is an awesome knife. Semi-stainless carbons are just a wonderful hybrid of two worlds. Unless you are unlucky and get a faulty one, what's there not to like? It cuts like a demon.

Let's be clear, I wasn't criticizing Konosuke. They appear to be great knives....I came close to pulling the trigger several times. I just find it amusing that the flavor of the month changes so often, whatever the reason.

I heard edge retention on HD is better (markedly) than HD2 if you go the kono route.

Having used both, I found that the HD2 was easier to sharpen and held that edge longer than the HD. I have since sold off both of those knives however. The original HD steel is by no means difficult to sharpen, I just found the HD2 something closer to White#2 in the time and effort it took to sharpen and closer to Super Blue in the retention catagory. YMMV.

Weird, I heard the opposite. :scratchhead: Doesn't the HD2 have better edge retention and stain resistance?

I heard edge retention on HD is better (markedly) than HD2 if you go the kono route.

Weird, I heard the opposite. :scratchhead: Doesn't the HD2 have better edge retention and stain resistance?

What's a "faulty" one?

Also, a knife that's both easier to sharpen and better edge retention? I'm just a newbie around here, but isn't that contradictory?

What's a "faulty" one?

Also, a knife that's both easier to sharpen and better edge retention? I'm just a newbie around here, but isn't that contradictory?

A knife can have good steel & edge retention + be easy to sharpen.Often quality steel raises a burr easy as compared to cheap stainless that has lousy edge reten. & is hard to sharpen.On the other end some stainless super hard steels are hard to sharpen but have good retention.To me the best combo knives are good edge -easy sharpen.

Jon at JKI gets alot of Luv here & for good reason.He has some Gesshin stainless thin blades that would make great work knives.The Kono HD is a good blade,it is just that they have gone way up in price.The Sakai Yusuke stainless lazors are good blades too.

The Richmond blade seems thin & good shape,however they need major thinning to cut well.The factory just grinds a 50/50 wedge on the edge.

Back