Quantcast
Knife budget
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife budget

Knife budget

Hey folks, just something I have been thinking about lately and not sure if it is an appropriate question or not. But we all know there are alot of nice knives floating around with the members here. Just curious how we or you justify spending x number of dollars on a knife? Do you have a yearly allowance? Just save and buy? Impulse buy? buy when you get a promotion , or so on. Just a question that has crossed my mind and few times and just wanted to see everyones answers, if willing to share.

For me it's a mixture of all of the above, minus the yearly allowance. I'm past the point of needing a knife for a specific task, and just enjoy trying different makers, from various eras.
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

I started and said I couldn't spend $400 on a knife. Now I've done it more than a few times. Usually the big purchases or birthdays and stuff but I have a system. I have my "kit" and then a few I try. Either they make the kit or I sell them to try something else. I rarely buy one without letting one go anymore. I don't have the money with a young family and new house to stockpile expensive knives but if I sell one I can add alittle money to go up a notch and go up and up till I'm buying and selling the knives I said I could never have.

the more into knives you get the more you are willing to spend. i started off thinking $100 was high.

My knives are not in the price ranges that some others here spend. Stupid me, I bought most of them years ago, and now that I could call them a tax deduction, I can't afford buying anymore Haven't bought a classy knife in a long time. At least I don't have to spend a fortune on dem custom handles

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    the more into knives you get the more you are willing to spend. i started off thinking $100 was high.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

It's a pure addiction at this point. I need the shig in my needle!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Great answers, myself is a little of all of the above. Addiction, wanting to try all the makers, just spending a little more each time and justifying it. It is a great feeling though.

it's like cars -- never track all the costs/ never add it all up.

And when you wife looks at the knife block and gets just be like

The key to being able to afford them all is to have no social life what so ever. Pretty much all my spare time is buying, reading about, and talking about knives. I haven't been to a bar in over two years. It consumes me. I wouldn't want to know how much I have spent.

+ Reply to Thread