Quantcast
Kramer Article - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kramer Article

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    "How do you know Carter did it with a kitchen knife?"

Murray told me he did. As for the handles coming off, I'm not sure Kramer has ever tried a Wa handle. I would be surprised if any high end maker's western style slab handles ever came off.

just to be clear...are you talking about the performance test or the knives for judging?.....ryan

viva la revolucion !

The performance test, chopping 2X4's, rope etc. I assume he also had to make the fancy dagger and other knives required to pass mastersmith. I also know Murray thought it would be interesting to pass the performance test with what he was best known for, a kitchen type knife. Not sure which model he chose but you could ask him.

It hasn't been mentioned here but Kramer started out making kitchen knives by stock removal, even after he had his mastersmith rating. Does anyone know when he changed over to all forged? I don't. It would be interesting to compare the performance of the two types.

I didn't think that Bob forged his knives but rather forged the damascus for stock removal. I would also think that if he's smart he's probably having his 52100 blanks cut out for him for stock removal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I didn't think that Bob forged his knives but rather forged the damascus for stock removal. I would also think that if he's smart he's probably having his 52100 blanks cut out for him for stock removal.
    Bob does forge to shape some of his damascus blades, it depends on the pattern. I don't think that he forges to shape his carbon steel blades. He did at one time. He cuts out his blades one at a time.

We all need to have media exposure and keep educating people about kitchen knives. We all benifit from his leadership.

Congrats and thanks to Bob Kramer.

Hoss

thanks for the clarification noodle...yeah i have seen murray's test knives...everyone has to make the fancy dagger but some of his others were kitchen knives....i think he made a deba and yanagi for two of them.....ryan

viva la revolucion !

i think alot of people would be surprised at how much stock removal has to be involved in some damascus making....you just can't get some patterns without it....ryan

viva la revolucion !

Today I found this blurb and video of Kramer on Grubstreet.com, and figured this would be the right place to share.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/0..._that_can.html

Does anyone want to do the can test on their knives ?

I've never seen the can trick before. How much of that is the knife vs. the technique?
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Today I found this blurb and video of Kramer on Grubstreet.com, and figured this would be the right place to share.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2011/0..._that_can.html

Does anyone want to do the can test on their knives ?
    He did that with a Zwilling. Not bad.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Ok, a test like that coke can doesn't mean anything to me until I try it myself so see how difficult it actually is. So--- One coke can against my 270mm Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto I bought off Japan Chef Knives a couple of years ago. Currently $165. I had recently sharpened the knife on a 8000 grit waterstone but it had been used once or twice since then. Argued with myself if I should resharpen but the knife felt plenty sharp so I went for the coke can as is. One swing, coke can cut in half right about the middle. Frankly, that didn't seem that hard.

+ Reply to Thread