Kramer Article

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These articles are why bob makes the dough. If any of the knifemakers here got an CI article, they couldnt handle the amount of business.

These articles are why bob makes the dough. If any of the knifemakers here got an CI article, they couldnt handle the amount of business.

True... also, I've noticed that the Kramer articles in particular always sound the same. It's as if all journalists wanting to write an article about a knife maker start with the exact same formula = set context of forge in a city, talk briefly about how epic knives are, give prices, talk about layered steel, talk about 1 out of 1XX bladesmiths in country and follow up with another account of ABS test... etc.

I'm with Mateo, if you have read one mass media profile of Kramer you have read them all. Always making a big deal about his ABS mastersmith rating which has nothing to do with food prep blades. I was impressed when Murray Carter passed the test with one of his own kitchen knives though. That was probably a first for the ABS.

I'm with Mateo, if you have read one mass media profile of Kramer you have read them all. Always making a big deal about his ABS mastersmith rating which has nothing to do with food prep blades. I was impressed when Murray Carter passed the test with one of his own kitchen knives though. That was probably a first for the ABS.

Lets not down play it. Getting ABS certified isn't easy. If it were, every knife maker would do it. Its not the most relevant test, but you have to have skills to pass it. How do you know Carter did it with a kitchen knife? Most of the knifemakers make a specific knife for the test, just like them make specific knives for the kitchen. Bob is a great knife maker and a nice guy and I wish I would have bought one of his knives 5 years ago like Adam did. I'm also glad and honored that we two ABS guys that do kitchen knives on our board.

BTW, at least no one with a Kramer has complained that their handles fall off. LOL

I like the article, and Im happy for Bob that he is doing well.
We should all be happy for focus on kitchen knives, cause the more are interested the better knives is produced!

I love Bob Kramer for the marketing he is doing for all of us.

I like the article, and Im happy for Bob that he is doing well.
We should all be happy for focus on kitchen knives, cause the more are interested the better knives is produced!

I love Bob Kramer for the marketing he is doing for all of us.

Yes, Kramer has raised profiles for kitchen knives and created a market for higher end knives. I also think he pushed a bar a level higher in making performance knives. Marketing is one thing, but 52100 is a great steel that will outperform most steels if heat treated properly.

For that, I tip my hat to Mr. Kramer and say Thank You and I am happy for Your success, as the benefits will trickle down to others who are in or want to get into the market (yours truly included) and who share the philosophy that to succeed, you don't stop at any level, have to always try to improve your work, no matter how good it is.

M

M

"How do you know Carter did it with a kitchen knife?"

Murray told me he did. As for the handles coming off, I'm not sure Kramer has ever tried a Wa handle. I would be surprised if any high end maker's western style slab handles ever came off.

Murray told me he did. As for the handles coming off, I'm not sure Kramer has ever tried a Wa handle. I would be surprised if any high end maker's western style slab handles ever came off.

Oh, they have....even one's from Murray Carter....he told me so himself.

just to be clear...are you talking about the performance test or the knives for judging?.....ryan

The performance test, chopping 2X4's, rope etc. I assume he also had to make the fancy dagger and other knives required to pass mastersmith. I also know Murray thought it would be interesting to pass the performance test with what he was best known for, a kitchen type knife. Not sure which model he chose but you could ask him.

It hasn't been mentioned here but Kramer started out making kitchen knives by stock removal, even after he had his mastersmith rating. Does anyone know when he changed over to all forged? I don't. It would be interesting to compare the performance of the two types.

I didn't think that Bob forged his knives but rather forged the damascus for stock removal. I would also think that if he's smart he's probably having his 52100 blanks cut out for him for stock removal.

I didn't think that Bob forged his knives but rather forged the damascus for stock removal. I would also think that if he's smart he's probably having his 52100 blanks cut out for him for stock removal.

Bob does forge to shape some of his damascus blades, it depends on the pattern. I don't think that he forges to shape his carbon steel blades. He did at one time. He cuts out his blades one at a time.

We all need to have media exposure and keep educating people about kitchen knives. We all benifit from his leadership.

Congrats and thanks to Bob Kramer.

Hoss

thanks for the clarification noodle...yeah i have seen murray's test knives...everyone has to make the fancy dagger but some of his others were kitchen knives....i think he made a deba and yanagi for two of them.....ryan

i think alot of people would be surprised at how much stock removal has to be involved in some damascus making....you just can't get some patterns without it....ryan

I've never seen the can trick before. How much of that is the knife vs. the technique?

Ok, a test like that coke can doesn't mean anything to me until I try it myself so see how difficult it actually is. So--- One coke can against my 270mm Hiromoto Aogami Super Gyuto I bought off Japan Chef Knives a couple of years ago. Currently $165. I had recently sharpened the knife on a 8000 grit waterstone but it had been used once or twice since then. Argued with myself if I should resharpen but the knife felt plenty sharp so I went for the coke can as is. One swing, coke can cut in half right about the middle. Frankly, that didn't seem that hard.

no offense to bob or his knives but i've seen some experienced cutters cut stuff with some pretty dull knives.....no where near as sharp as they would be normally.....it all depends if you know what you're doing or not....ryan

That is one hell of a testing for kitchen knife.
I dont know how many of you are cooking stew out of coke cans or water bottles but i never did...
I understand that swede wouldnt be so effective on video but you cannot know unless you sell your house and buy a Kramer!

I dont know how many of you are cooking stew out of coke cans or water bottles but i never did...

"Beer Can Chicken" is actually a fairly common recipe over here in some places.

Water bottles are a common obstacle in most bladesport competitions.

And I am sure the people shooting the video asked for visual impressive things to film. Most people do not enjoy slow motion tomato cuts as we do here.

"Beer Can Chicken" is actually a fairly common recipe over here in some places.

And I am sure the people shooting the video asked for visual impressive things to film. Most people do not enjoy slow motion tomato cuts as we do here.

Yes, we are a unique bunch of people who drool over slow mo tomato videos :) .

Some comments about the ABS test and I don't know what Murray did, but I tested with a regular "bowie" type knife for the performance version. For my five "presentation" knives I submitted a big Chef and two of the mastersmith judges I had said this, "...was the first kitchen knife ever submitted for the mastersmith test." Not sure if that's actually true or not. Here is a pic. (I don't remember if I had showed you guys this one yet.)

standard.jpg

-M

michael...i would venture to guess that most matersmiths would not recognize a deba and yanagi as what they are.....either that or the ones u had for your test didn't see murray's knives......

there is apic ofmurray's knivessomewhere-gotta see if i can find it....ryan

Yeah, looks cool. But whats that testing in kitchen knife?
I heard some are preparing "canned beans", but i would get truly impressed if he cut the coke can other way down :)

Back