• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Misono Swedish Hankotsu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked out this particular knife against other makers maru...

a) some are flat grind , some are convex grind.

b) the edge profile of this particular knife.. well if the sharpened edge is only 1/3 of the blade form the tip suits you then go for it. I only assume that this knife is designed for making a small incision adn then tearing the bones apart or ripping the meat off as in deboning chicken. I may be wrong here. The other 2/3 are thick edge of which i can only assume that it is for scraping the meat off the bone. I suppose that I can put it to a belt grinder and modify the edge to have a cutting edge all the way on the edge. Just an opportunity to use the belt grinder...:biggrin:

c) I have since moved on scoping out a Garasuki .. ( inspired by this thread http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...er-terrestrial-animals/page3?highlight=justin) a bigger version of the honesuki as I prefer the height clearance... Looking for one with a convex grind on the blade face. IF i am not mistaken the Ashi Hamono version is 5 mm thick but not convex grind and it has been sharpened either 80:20 or 70:30.

e) I have a Tojiro deba. 180mm western Deba but really gyuto size with a convex grind and tried my hand at deboning a whole bird ( first time in my life) . No knuckle clearance shld I desire a pressing or light knocking move. It was all right. I suppose I have the garasuki itch....

rgds
d

As far as this knife goes, more than half of the length is sharpened. Hankotsu are designed to be held overhand to break down hanging carcasses, the absence of a choil means that if the whole blade was sharpened, it would be dangerous to hold the knife if your hand slid toward the blade. The misono Swedish hankotsu is a lot of knife, big solid handle. The unsharpened section is handy for frenching and scraping bones.

It would primarily be used for deboning chickens pepin style, mostly off the board and scraping down bones. I've tried many knives for this, petty felt a bit delicate, even tried a deba which was far too tall and ungainly if that makes sense, probably best so far was my parer....Realise most suggest honesuki/ garasuki for chicken, but I don't need that heel for going through joints. The narrow blade looks to be more manouverable, was also looking at the ittonomon butcher knife....

I use Yoshikane SKD honesuki for deboning chicken in the same fashion and feel like it suits the task well.

From searching rakuten a while a ago looking for hankotsu to be used as steak knives, I have come acroos this for one of the cheaper price:
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/newworldnet/item/misono-no141/

They also have minamoto kanemasa at a very cheap price too http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/newworldnet/item/m0011/#googtrans/ja/en . This is the knife I was thinking of gettng, but have not gotten around to get any yet.

I think you would find the misono hankotsu far less nimble than a 150ish honesuki.
You should probably buy one of each though. ;)

It would primarily be used for deboning chickens pepin style, mostly off the board and scraping down bones. I've tried many knives for this, petty felt a bit delicate, even tried a deba which was far too tall and ungainly if that makes sense, probably best so far was my parer....Realise most suggest honesuki/ garasuki for chicken, but I don't need that heel for going through joints. The narrow blade looks to be more manouverable, was also looking at the ittonomon butcher knife....

You can't find a better knife than the Misono hankotsu for that style of deboning. Much, much better than a honesuki. I have both, and the hankotsu gets the nod, every time.

Now, if all you want to do is break down a whole bird, then the honesuki comes into play, although I find the hankotsu can do the same job, but so can a petty.

Rick

Oops, I made a typo. Yoshikane SKD hankotsu from Maxim was the knife, not a Yoshikane honesuki which would have been a v2.

Thanks for the tips fellas. I wish that yoshi was in stock! There dont seem to be any wa options for hankotsu....

That wa hankotsu caught my eye as well. It looks so amazing! I would love to see a passarounds for it!

i think i remember asking jon about the hankotsu and i think he said it was a 50/50 grind.

Back